Hand tools??

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by meets1, Oct 20, 2008.

1. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

I can tell it is the end of the season - broke another shovel here today. Is it worth paying for quality shovels out of Am Leonard ot some company or just go back to the local hardware store and get a cheap one again hoping to last the another season?

Also do you guys go with wood or fabriclass handles?
  2. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I use those Northstar 4" spades for trenching. I have never ever broken one. We wear out the tips on them.

I came across some wood shovels at Northern at a sale for $4 a piece for flat and spear shovel. Bought 20 of them and I still haven't worn/broke/lost all of them 8 months later.

I used to buy those nice Fiskars metal shovel at 30 bucks a pop... but I cheaped out this year and bought the $4 ones and haven't really missed the $30 ones.

LITLJOHN LawnSite Member

craftsmen break it then bring it back for a new 1 .
  4. Isobel

Isobel LawnSite Senior Member

I personally like the fiberglass handles. a little bit lighter really helps at the end of the week.
    I haven't broken a shovel, wood or fiberglass, in a few years, so I don't know if one is stronger than the other.
  5. frumdig

frumdig LawnSite Member
    from nunya

your best bet is to buy a hoss ass metal spade, and use that dig, and the shovel to clean... its the first thing i pick up before i grab anything else... works well for everything, cutting roots, prying, breaking up hard clay, digging trenches, diggin holes, sometimes a hammer... hah i prefer wood for everything else... nothin too expensive, but not cheap either... and they last a lot longer when you have a spade to do the hard work...
  6. JimmyStew

JimmyStew LawnSite Senior Member

That is the greatest shovel ever made!!! except on these cold fall mornings....

Actually, they are a bit heavy for everyday use but its always on the truck. Normally, we just use the cheaper, wood handle shovels from the hardware store. They tend to last quite a while if your careful. I have just a small crew so I can keep an eye on them and make sure they know to get the brute from the truck if they do any "pry digging".
  7. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Another vote for the Fiskers metal shovel. I love mine, and you can pick them up a Lowes (I think). You can find heavier duty shovels out there though. But all steel is the way to go. I think the extra weight to the shovel actually makes digging easier, as long as you aren't scooping into a wheelbarrow or something.
  8. Mike's LawnCare Landscape

Mike's LawnCare Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

We get the $4 ones around here they seem to stay around longer I thing the $30 shovels sprout legs and walk off ????:confused:
  9. we have bought these several years ago expensive but have never broke one.