Hand Tools

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jrblawncare, Jul 3, 2000.

1. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

Hello,<p>I think I just saw those 'pruners' you are talking about. Are they made by Corona?<p>In the last couple of months, I've been seeing pruners/lopping shears go for 80 to 120 bucks. A LOT of money, but man are they nice! Built like bolt cutters.<p>I've gone through too many of the $20-30 dollar &quot;contractor grade&quot; models in my life, and think I will bite my teeth real hard and by a pair of these. <p>steveair<br>

2. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

Look for Felco pruners they are the best made with replaceable blades and they even have replacement parts for them. One pair should last forever.<p>----------<br>paul<br>

3. jaclawn

jaclawn LawnSite Senior Member

I own a few of those high dollar tools. Are they worth it? Depends. You won't know the difference till you actually use it. It is kinda like comparing a Caviler to a Caddilac, they both accomplish the same task(transportation) but the Caddilac jusst seems to be a bit more pleasurable to operate. <p>

4. trimmer

trimmer LawnSite Senior Member

yeah! Kind of like a hooker.

5. osc

osc LawnSite Senior Member

What about mechanic's tool such as wrenches and sockets? This is where I personally like Sears for the money. What do you guys use and how elaborate is your set of tools?

6. Ssouth

Ssouth LawnSite Senior Member

OSC<br>As far as mechanics tools I carry a portable 90 piece ratchet set made by Husky. I picked it up at Home Depot for $42. The tools have a lifetime warranty (like Craftsman. The set includes a 1/4,3/8,and 1/2&quot; ratchet along w/ a 1/4 driver. I also have a set of 8 Craftsmen ratchet wrenches ( they work well), a dozen screwdrivers, several sets of pliers, a portable vise, three types of tape, lots of pull ties, and a hacksaw and sledge hammer for the problems that I can't fix. I carry many more tools with me, too many to list, but the ones listed are the most frequently used. <br>As far as hand tools I use the best I can find. <p>Ssouth<br>

7. snow

snow Guest

About the tool sets, for my birthday i got a 207 piece sears mechanics set. this tool set was going for $199 in sears's industrial catalog. i saw a flier in the paper on sale for $169, i called the indsutrial sales division and they cannot offer the same price.It has more tools than i know what to do with and all the tools have their own plastic drawers which are molded for only the tools that is supposed to fit in the place. i went to sears.com and ordered it. the set came earlier than expected, and i also could track the status of it. I also want to get a set of the craftsman quick wrenches and the pliers that automatically adjust to the nut size.<p>Bryan<p>----------<br><br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.snowplow.web.com&quot;&gt;The Snowplow Homepage&lt;/a&gt;

8. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I am rough on hand tools,especially handles.I look for certian styles of tools more so than brands or price.When it comes to pruning tools I am sold on Florian brand, just love the ratchet-cut. I carry the the small hand set in a belt case every day.

9. Toddppm

Toddppm LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

I've broken too many home depot tools to buy anymore, even the fiberglass handle ones. Broke a maddox head off last month. The iron they use is junk. My old steel one is great wish i could find another.Haven't tried sears for hand tools yet might have to try. The felcos are the beast pruners i've used, corona makes one similar but not the same quality i don't think. Got a demo Florian maxi lopper on ebay , That is an awesome pruner! that price is hard to handle but worth it.

10. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

barkleymut, lifetime warranty or not, it still sux to have to drop what youre doing cuz you broke a handle. they all break, even steel, just how long you can go before the inevitable.<p>Bill