Hand Tools

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jrblawncare, Jul 3, 2000.

1. kenneybros

kenneybros LawnSite Member

felcos rule!! there like 55 bucks, im glad i didnt have to pay for em!! oh and craftsman tools are probably the best thing for the money, and they will give you a new tool no questions asked.

2. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Eric and others looking for pruners: Felco has a long line of good pruners. For someone pruning for hours at at time, get Felco #7, with a rotating handle (for right handers - Felco #10 for LH). For small hands, get Felco #6 - every female client I have worked with on pruning has chosen this as the one to purchase (#12 is same with rotating handle, but that seems to feel larger). The original Felco #2 is a good basic starter tool. &lt;a href=&quot;http://www.amleo.com/&quot;&gt;AM Leonard&lt;/a&gt; carries the full line and and parts.<br>Key to easy pruning though is sharpening. A sharp blade cuts a lot easier. Used to use the fancy sharpening tools, but old timer got me using simple bastard file. It does just as good a job for 10%-20% of the cost. <p>----------<br>Jim<br>North central Indiana

3. PLS

PLS LawnSite Member

That little triangle shaped sharping stone that Felco sells works real good too. I think it's only about 7 or 8 bucks.

4. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

I buy all my hand tools at Home Cheapo. I buy the ames tools. There priced pretty good and hold up ok. I have yet to find a desent leaf rake that will hold up for more than a month. During leaf season forget about it, I think I went through as any rakes as i did gas. <p>I also like husky mechanics tools that they sell at home cheapo. I just like the way they feel better that crapsman. Home Cheapo sells huskey and if you break a crapsman tool you can bring it back to Home Cheapo and they will reaplace it with a huskey.<p>I too like the felco prunners. I definitly think they are the best

5. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

If you guys think you can break a King of Spade shovel or spade try it my guys have. I've seen them stand on one prying up on a piece of concrete and I mean stand on it. Only thing that happens to them is sombody else sees them and they grow legs.<p>----------<br>paul<br>

6. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

When it comes to hand tools I try to remember this story, I know it deals with my other profession but I know its true for alot of us;<br>Put a firefighter in a straight jacket in a padded room for a 1/2 hour with 2 ball bearings. When you come back and check you will find one of the ballbearings is lost and the other one is broken.<p>I can lose or break anything so when it comes to hand tools I try not to spend too much. Good Luck.

7. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

The best mechanics tools are Sidchrome and<br>Snap On.<p>Karl<br>

8. jaclawn

jaclawn LawnSite Senior Member

Paul- Aren't those king of spades awesome? You guys don't know what you are missing using cheapo spades.<p>