1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

hand vibration

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bryan B, Apr 3, 2010.

1. Bryan B

Bryan B LawnSite Member

just getting started in what plans to be my first full season of cutting i have picked up a few yards and had my first day of cutting yesterday after doing 6 yards my hands wouldn't quit vibrating lol any tips or tricks you vets out there use to help or possibly stop this "problem". i checked some threads on new grips and anti vibration gloves just trying to figure out what's the best bang for my buck.

Thanks- Bryan
  2. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

i don't really have this problem. i don't do anything. the only time i have shaky hands from using equipment is from doing some major trimming and i mean major or major pruning.

now i've been doing this for 4 years but even when i first started i didn't have this problem.

what kind of equipment are you using? is the shaky hands caused by the trimmer, blower, mower, what???
  3. freshprince94

freshprince94 LawnSite Bronze Member

You get used to it eventually...I tried gloves a few years back and hated them...too hot and not as much dexterity.
  4. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

It didnt bother me for the first 10yrs but now I have 2 numb fingers on my left hand! Its not a problem that occurs over night but is accumulative. Very difficult to treat, if at all. I think you can just reduce the symptoms but I will have the problem forever now.
    At one stage half my hand was like pins and needle all the time and hyper sensitive. VERY uncomfortable! Playing guitar was very painful and fingers wouldnt go where they were supposed to.
    Im sure it was mainly from trimming but also from the stick on the ztr has had some effect. Ive been wearing 1 glove on my bad hand for the last 12mths while trimming and mowing. I recently started taking the glove off while mowing and the numbness has got a little worse so the slight vibes going through the stick does have some effect.
    Needless to say, make sure you have the same amount of line out on each side of the trimmer head but other than that I dont think there is much else you can do about it other than wearing a anti vibe glove.

The glove really helped me. Ive lost the pins and needles but fingers are still a little numb!

I'll finish by saying "HAVS" is something to be avoided at all cost!

Some info... http://www.docstoc.com/docs/29142815/WHAT-IS-HAVS--VWF-Hand-Arm-Vibration-Syndrome-(HAVS)-and
  5. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

MickHippy, you have to try out a dynaflex. Using a gyroscopic or powerball hand/wrist exerciser like the dynabee or dynaflex will help prevent or even remove carple tunnel conditions. It worked great for me. I've had this problem in the past too, where it was painfull and dangerous to ride a motorcycle, difficult to do any hand pruning, I developed trigger finger in one hand, throbbing or numbness, grip weakend over the years as a result, etc. Research them as to how they are used to help with carpal tunnel repetitive use injuries.

Bryan, I suggest you get one and use it to prevent the pain and numbness that might be down the road for you.

Use of them helps build wrist strength throughout your full range of motion, and help prevent injury from the repetitive use motions made during our days work. They improve range of motion and flexibility, muscle strength , and joint support. Just like core strength helps prevent back injury by stabilizing the joints of the spine, these wrist exercisers help protect the wrist/hand/forearm from injury by strengthening all the supporting structure.
  6. Think Green

Think Green LawnSite Silver Member

I agree you Mick, after my 19 years of line trimmer use, hedge trimmer use, and blower use, there isn't a wrist, shoulder, or ankle that doesn't give me trouble. Did I mention rotator cuff discomfort.

There are a lot of choices in equipment that claim to have built in anti vibration controlled shafts and clutch inlets, but anything that vibrates will cause repetitive related user issues. Back years ago, we used to trim push all lawns and bagged them. That was brutal on the legs. Even with all the new comfort seats for the ZTR's it will take it toll on your body. Each year it takes me and my men about 2-3 weeks of practice to get into the swing of the pain again. Eventually, you will get the hang of it and your body will recognize the routine. It is when you change the routine that your body will let you know.

1. Alleve
    2. Tylenol
    3. Ibuprofren
    4. Epsom Salts
    5. Compression bands for the knees, ankles, wrists and back stabilizer will help until you get used to it.
  7. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

Vicodin does the trick for me.
  8. Two Seasons

Two Seasons LawnSite Senior Member

Try a pair of motocross gloves.

Do they make gel gloves?
  9. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

Stihl is your problem they all have a ton of harmonics in the handles. I guess it's just how their engines run? I have a husky, redmax, and stihl trimmer and thats the order I find comfortable to use.
  10. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I've got a pair of fingerless bicycling gloves if I'm going to be holding a vibrating tool a lot...they have gel pads in the palm.