Handeling Materials on Jobsite

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by OX Landworks, Apr 6, 2006.

1. OX Landworks

OX Landworks LawnSite Member

I need help trying to figure out the best way to handle materials like gravels, sand, and mulch. I have a dump trailer and will have a mini-skid soon. My question is how do you handle the material to get if from the trailer, to where you need it most effectively? Do you just dump it on the ground? and if so what do you do with the mess that it creates? Or do any of you guys work directly from your tailer? Any input it much appreciated!

2. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

I also use a dump trailer and skid steer or a small tractor. I always ask the homeowner if there would be any problem dumping the material on the driveway (if there is one). Never had anyone say no yet. I dump on the side of the street, right along the curb, if no drive and provided I plan to have it moved that same day.
    In a lawn I would maybe use some sheets of cheap plywood to dump on? just a thought.

3. OX Landworks

OX Landworks LawnSite Member

Thanks for the input! How do you keep from scuffing up their driveway with your bucket?

4. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Be very careful LOL! I explain to them the process of moving materials such as crushed lime, masons sand, etc. I let them know in most instances the scuff marks will fade (although some may not). when we get down to the last bit of material we use coal shovels to load into the bucket.