handguns

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by straightlinelawns, Oct 24, 2004.

1. straightlinelawns

straightlinelawns LawnSite Member

Does anyone know if you can write off a handgun through the business for pretection. I have heard you can write off a 4 wheeler and other odds and ends , but does a handgun qualify?? also maybe the cost of the concealed weapons license could be written off also? :)

2. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Things must be rough down there in Georgia, up here a baseball bat usually works for me :)

I suppose if you could prove a genuine need to carry a gun it might fly.

3. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

My accountant would not question it. Write it off and just right the purpose on the reciept.

4. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Then you might want to find a more thorough accountant because you would have a very hard time proving the deduction in an audit.

5. straightlinelawns

straightlinelawns LawnSite Member

thanks for the input! things aren't that bad around georgia, but crime in my area has increased in the past few years, plus i like to shoot for a hobby anyways, thanks

6. precisioncut

precisioncut LawnSite Senior Member

How would your customers feel seeing you with a pistol strapped to your waist? You might as well wear a badge too (maybe a "lawn Badge").

If it is in the truck it would only help you if you are car jacked at a light or something.

7. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I really, really doubt it would wash with the IRS. You can "write off" anything you want, as long as you don't get audited.

8. WildWest

WildWest LawnSite Senior Member

LOL, Buy your gun for you, not your business! You write a gun off on your taxes and the IRS will probably put you on their "special" list!
    You have a right to defend yourself WHEREVER you are! They have a "in the pants holster" called the "conceal carry" it velcros around your hips and is totally hidden by your pants, your pistol is RIGHT NEXT to your "gun" if ya know what I'm tallking about.... If you get a small pistol NOBODY would EVER know you're packing.

9. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

If I was to buy a gun for protection when cutting foreclosed properties(which is scary at times).... you are saying that the purchase would not be a write off? Would it not be considered a tool?

10. oneandonlyjojo

oneandonlyjojo LawnSite Member
    from NY

u can only carry a handgun if u handle large amounts of cash or like a jeweler who has to carry a briefcase filled. i know thats the case in most states are u planning on keeping at your house or with u at all times lol