1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Handheld blower choices and selling a backpack

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by S man, May 30, 2008.

1. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

Right now I have two redmax 7001 back pack blowers. One is the new ebz and the other is the eb and is a year and a half old. I feel like two big backpack blowers is too much for me and really want a handheld instead. Should I sell my older eb7001 and get a handheld and put the rest back in the bank? Also I want to do this because I have heard a lot of good things about hand blowers and how it is easier to use on smaller jobs. Also after using the back pack for a while my shoulders start hurting and get sore. Would a handheld be best for me? I'm only doing 37 accounts most of which are small properties. And now which blower do I get?? My two favorable choices are the redmax hbz2600s(still available online) or the stihl bg85(I saw one that said C on it instead of D). Or which other should I go with?
  2. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I like the new Echo PB 251's. If not, the Redmax is also a nice unit. I have a ebz7001 as well as an Echo pb403. I don't use the 403 becaus eI like the power from the 7001. I may switch up though for lawns... The weight difference don't affect me to much though...
  3. Just Mow

Just Mow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

I like the BG85, it has been a very strong unit.
  4. Ronniecoleman

Ronniecoleman LawnSite Member

I have a 7001 and an echo pb 251, I use the echo for all small jobs and the redmax for commercials.
  5. freshprince94

freshprince94 LawnSite Bronze Member

Personal preference for me is backpack. Easier to use in my opinion. And about your back getting sore, getting a handheld unit will only transfer the pain to your arm and hand.

Sore back is inevitable for us LCOs lol.
  6. S.A.L.

S.A.L. LawnSite Member
    from NOLA

PM'd you, S.

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

my backpack blower used to tire me out but after getting used to it its a good machine to have
  8. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

Which has more power? The redmax or stihl?
  9. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Handhelds are harder on your body than backpacks IMHO. I have 2 handhelds that sit in the shop most of the time, both models you are looking at. I would get the RedMax, just make sure you run premium fuel through it.
  10. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

i got 2 bg85s. one is 1st blower i ever owned. 6 years old or older. ran over by a school bus 4 years ago. (fkin white boys) last time we used it, it started on 1st pull... and after sitting all winter. all stihl blowers i ever had are still running and all are handheld. 2 bg85s. 3 bg55s (which are now 3 years old)