Handheld blower/vacuum use?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bmrdude, Feb 14, 2003.

1. bmrdude

bmrdude LawnSite Member

What are your opinions on the Stihl hand-held blowers and their use as a leaf vacuum/shredder? Specifically the BG85 with opptional vac attachment or the SH85 I searched but could not find any specific info. on them.

2. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Well when I hear handheld, I hear no power. Just my opinion, in a blower or vac.

3. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a Stihl vacuum that gets used quite a bit this time of year. I basically just use it to vac along curbs at commercial properties. Its quicker however to use a BP blower if doing anything more than curblines.

4. Husker1982

Husker1982 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a JD blower/vac and love it for bushes and corner areas where it is hard to blow leaves out of.

5. imalandscper

imalandscper LawnSite Member

i purchased an echo shred n vac and i works awsome. no complaints here

6. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

I bought an echo instead of stihl it was 30 bucks cheaper,I'm real dissapointed in its vac. power!!I thought it would be good for suckin up hedge clippins,I was wrong!The blower is handy for small driveways and sidewalks but the vac is almost useless.I wouldn't buy another.:rolleyes:

7. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I had an Echo with the vacuum. The bag filled up real fast .And the way it was strapped to your shoulder, the bag was close to your face. The dust went all over your clothes and face. I sold it!

8. What are your plans for it?

My Echo one became a fathersday gift.

9. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a Tanaka hand held vac/blower. Doesn't really work too well for leaves. Only thing I really use it for is when trimmimg evergreens and need to collect up the clippings from mulch or stone. I've yet to use it in blower form.

10. Great for cig butts in the cinder/coral rock gardens...low rpms. Great for the 'no can blow' door ways where all kind of matter will culmulate. Will take punishment, bag will need replacing b-4 unit craps out. A detail machine to be used as a permanent set up. Use one handheld as blower, one as a vac. And always keep bacpac ready for the big stuff. You must experiment with this machine before giving final judgement. I would never do without one. Will take yours for free if you don't want it!

Aloha Ka Ko

P.Y.S.