Handheld Blower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ozd12005, Jan 5, 2008.

1. ozd12005

ozd12005 LawnSite Senior Member

Stopped at a local dealer today looking for a new handheld blower for the up coming season. Come to find out the he no longer sells Echo and is stocking Shindaiwa and Dolmar. These don't look like they will hold up to commercial use and was wondering if anyone has any feed back on them?

2. Lawn-Sharks

Lawn-Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

Shindaiwa makes some of the best commercial equipment. also if you can swing it buy a back pack blower you'll thank me for it

3. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah, I don't know about Dolmar but Shindiawa is the way to go!! Their line trimmers and edgers are tops in class that I have used.

4. BentleyOutdoors

BentleyOutdoors LawnSite Member

Been in the business for 9 years and I have always used echo, been using the PB-200 for about 6 years and the new echo pb-251 for about 6 months both are wonderful machines! but i think the echo hit a home run with the 251!!!!:usflag:

5. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Both Dolmar and Shindaiwa make good equipment. I think Dolmar makes homeowner equipment as well as commercial, so just be sure to get the "good" stuff.
    Dolmar makes one of the all time best chainsaws and cut-off saws.

6. MONTE

MONTE LawnSite Senior Member

The Dolmar hand held blower will be a True 4-Stroke blower no mix! I have run one all year been absolutely flawless and so easy on gas I wish everything I had was this easy on fuel!

7. SchultzLawnCare

SchultzLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Id get a back pach when you buy one. much easier.

8. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Echo PB 230LN is the way to go if you want a dependable and powerful handheld blower. If your dealer doesn't carry Echo try www.alamia.com $225.00 and free shipping.

9. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

I bought a Shindaiwa EB3410 34cc C4 hand held blower. It work, Start with 4 to 5 pull. Relatively quiet. One thing bug me is that it need to be decarbon every 100 to 300 hours just like the Stihl 4Mix and need valve adjustment every 300 hour. Being a mix oil and gas, I don't think simple way of spraying water into carb to decarbon is a good idea, so you need find some other more complicated way to decarbon. Therefore it does require routine maintanence. If I were to do it again, I think I will look harder into 2 cycle blower. Problem is this is about the largest engine and suppose to be the most powerful out there. I think Tanaka and Kawasaki have 25 or 26cc blower. Others are just 22cc or so. No one complain about the Shindy C4 yet, so may be is not that bad. It works, I just hope to have a little more power still.

BTW Dolmar 4 cycle may be the same as Robin and Makita 4 cycle blower with separate oil and gas. but is 24.5cc only.

10. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

I just don't get it. Why would anyone want a heavy 25-35cc handheld blower? I have the Echo PB 230LN blowers for lawn care day to day mowing and they do a great job, if I need more power then the PB 403 blowers come into play but only on large commercial accounts. I prefer the grab and go way of doing things on small to medium size lawns, its just a lot faster than having to strap on a backpack. I'm not saying these other blowers are bad, I'm sure there not but with that said if you need a handheld blower with a bigger engine than 22.8 cc which is what the PB 230Ln has go out and buy a backpack blower it should cost around the same as a big handheld and you will be much happier.