Handheld edger verses push type?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by WeedWhackers, Sep 13, 2007.

1. WeedWhackers

WeedWhackers LawnSite Member

I have a handheld Echo PE-260 edger and I am looking to purchase a new one. I have just got a big apartment complex that has a lot of sidewalks to edge. I have never used the push type and would like to know some opinions on them verses handheld. What is the speed and quality verses a handheld? What would you recommend?

2. Tyler7692

Tyler7692 LawnSite Bronze Member

Push edgers are for majorly overgrown areas that haven't been edged for a long time (if ever). Handhelds are good for maintaining edges. Its good to have both.

3. joshco84

joshco84 LawnSite Senior Member

a stick edger goes about 600 times faster than a push or walk or whatever you call them. i have done some pretty gnarly curbs with my shindiawa stick edgers and never had any problems with them doing the job.

4. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

I work for a tanaka dealer, but I'm not trying to sell you an edger :rolleyes:
    But before, I did worked for a LCO and we used these older version of this model, the TLE 550. It will edge as fast as you can walk and they are rock solid if you take care of them. If you have alot of walks or alot of hours, this is the way I would go. What I liked was its a direct drive, like a stick edger only on wheels. You will have to hold it back, your arms won't get tired from pushing it around :laugh:

http://www.tanaka-usa.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=TLE-600

ericg likes this.
  5. jbannick18

jbannick18 LawnSite Senior Member

If you had an overgrown edge just put a new blade on it and the edger will tear through it. I will never use anything other than a stick edger

6. IHusky

IHusky LawnSite Senior Member

What he said. Don't get the edgers for sale at Homedepot or lowes. Tanaka, Little wonder or Mclane (with Honda engine).

7. WhitakerServices

WhitakerServices LawnSite Member

I have a Stihl fc85 (solid straight shaft) and it is tough it has plenty of torque and will pull you along at full throttle. I highly reccomend if you do buy the stick edger get a straight shaft model. In my experience the curved models with flexible shaft will tend to chatter as it seems like the driveshaft is kind of getting twisted and releasing making it a little jumpy. i don't care for walk behind models as they are to bulky and cumbersome, and they won't fit in a trimmer rack!

8. WeedWhackers

WeedWhackers LawnSite Member

Thanks Guys,
    I have always felt like the walk behinds would be to cumbersome. Thanks for the input. Any suggestions on the type handheld I should try? I like my echo put think there is probably a better edger out there.

9. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Tanaka has a good looking one. I have never used it, but it looks good.

10. steve5966

steve5966 LawnSite Member

tanaka is the only push type to use. Direct drive = less parts to break.