1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Handheld leaf vac?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by StBalor, Jul 15, 2006.

1. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

a few houses that i cut have basement stairs. No matter how hard i try, I still get grass going down the basement stairs. After a few weeks it starts looking really bad. Was thinking about buying a handheld leaf vac and just vacuming in out after cutting. What do you think and how do you guys handle this?
  2. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

You should be discharging the grass away from the house,basement steps,mulch beds:dancing:
  3. StBalor

Anyone with a more intelligent reply?
    Of course i discharge away from the steps. But sometimes do to compactness of an area, and trimming, grass goes down the steps. Sorry i am not as perfect as you, that you never get grass on basement stairs.
  4. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

Yup, I have some properties that have steps into basement and they are full of leaves.
    I have an echo hand held blower-vac. It has a attachment that turns it into a vac, and you put the other end into a trash can or use the bag that came with it.It does the job easily.
    I am glad that I bought it. I also use it for other small cleanup jobs from landscape beds in a courtyard.
  5. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

STBalor i was'nt trying to insult your intelligence nor was i assuming you blow the grass down the steps. you'd be suprized at how guys ive seen discharge the grass wright on to customers cars and such.
  6. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

If you get one I would suggest what Premo has or equivalent. We sell Tanaka and they have a handheld blower that can convert to a vac. What I am saying is get a blower that converts so that you can possibly get more use out of it than just for a vac once in a while :)
  7. StBalor

NP, sorry i went off.

Echo is exactly what i was thinking of pugs, my blower and trimmers are echo and i just like having all the same equipment.
  8. ThirdDay

ThirdDay LawnSite Senior Member

The Echo ES-230 works great. Vac and blower all in one unit and it does everything I need it to do
  9. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

i have one too for cleaning up shrub /hedge trimmings in fancy beds -works great
  10. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I had the bigger Echo model last year until it was stolen. I liked it but, it was limited. I bought a Snapper leaf vac this year (push). I'm going to get the hose kit for situations like steps and flower beds etc...
    I think the push leaf vac has more going for it in the long run. I can sweep parking areas, vacuum leaves or do detail work with the hose kit.