Handheld leaf vac

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Something D, Mar 7, 2005.

1. Something D

Something D LawnSite Member
    from East TN

Does anyone use a handheld leaf vac? Which brand do you prefer: Stihl, Echo ????

2. jimslawns

jimslawns LawnSite Senior Member

No I don't use one, but on the subject....Has anyone used one for litter pickup?

3. sodgod

sodgod LawnSite Member

I 've used them before. I don't like them really, their noisy and take awhile. I think a backpack blower and a rake work much faster. But depending on the job they can be helpful. Just a personal opinion.

4. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Not yet but I think it would be nice for small cleanups when you have to get those few leaves out from under shrubs, roses, and trenches between mulch and grass. I have seen guys at pro ballfields using them to clean peanuts and small trash from the bleachers and parking lots.

5. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

yea, i bought one like 5 yrs ago for $99. it caught fire the 2nd day. they are not made to run for 6 hrs straight. they are made to run like 6 hrs in 6 yrs

6. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, I run an Echo Shred-N-Vac, and have done so with no problems for 2 seasons.

BUT.....
    Go for the Stihl because the design is far and away better.
    Look at them both, check how the tubes connect, ect, you'll see what I'm saying.

7. skywalker629

skywalker629 LawnSite Member

The Stihl SH 85 works great as a homeowner blower and good as a leaf vaccuum/shredder. The local dealer advised that the vaccuum would only pick up loose leaves but it has shred small bush clippings and mulch that got sucked up.

8. Something D

Something D LawnSite Member
    from East TN

Thanks for all your opinions. I was thinking about using it not only between shrubs and hard to rake out areas but also to clean out gutters. I didn't know if the leaf vac would handle some of the junk that is in gutters.

9. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Ditto that. I see in the new Echo catalog that they have redesigned the intake tube though. It still has the stainless steel band clamp though.

10. Aaron Marshall

Aaron Marshall LawnSite Member

I have a stihl and mine hardly ever leaves the trailer. Like it was said earlier... really slow. They just don't have the power that they need. As far as gutters, the leaf vac tube is too big to fit inside the gutter and they don't have enough power to suck out leaves from the top of the gutter. Very few occations does mine actually help. I'm not buringing them, just what I have found. Hope it helps. :waving:
    Aaron