handheld life expectancy

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tranum, Dec 10, 2002.

1. tranum

tranum LawnSite Member

do i expect too much??????? or am i not getting enough????? (trimmer life!!)
    echo 2401, 2601, & 260. all purchased new in the last 16 months. when new, i get about 3-4 months of trouble free use. then they start loosing power. into the shop for a carb cleaning. then i get about 30 days & i have the same problem again. back to the shop. got all 3 out of the shop right after labor day. not one will run half decent today.
    got 2 2100's (w/adjustable carbs)that are 4 yrs old & run much better than the newer ones. have 1 fs120 stihl (3 yrs old) that runs like a champ.
    use premium gas plus a stabilizer. keep filters clean & don't abuse the trimmers.
    what kind of life do you expect from a trimmer? is there a problem with the brand i'm unaware of? i've got to find a cure b4 spring. change brands, add nitro, pray, something...i've tried 3 different dealers so i can't blame a mechanic. i'm trimmer poor & the downtime really ticks me off.
  2. ksland

ksland LawnSite Senior Member

I use echos and once the muffler screen is removed they run for 3 years plus.
  3. Lawn Specialties

Lawn Specialties LawnSite Member

Ive had my 2400 for 4 years and never done any thing but change the plug once a year gas it up and use it . I do use Opti 2 oil but I can't imagine even cheap oil gumming the carb or exhaust after a few months. At least it's better than the stihl equipment Ive used. It hardly ran when it was new.
  4. Mowing Freak

Mowing Freak LawnSite Senior Member
    from S.E. Ks

Try using the low grade gas. Echo in their owners manual says to use 87 octane gas. The higher the octane, the hotter it runs. The hotter it runs, the shorter the engine life. Use a good 2 cycle mix too. About any name brand or synthetics are good. Take the screen out too as said earlier. Also, use NGK or ENSO brand plugs for your trimmer as the hold their life better than champ. Yes, you will have to pay a little more, but it is worth it. Hope this helps!
  5. We do 4 U

We do 4 U LawnSite Member

Easy fix- STHIL!!!
  6. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

I believe that you are suffering from CARB syndrome.

When California forced the latest emissions regulations (CARB) down the throats of the 2-stroke manufacturers (with the non-adjustable carburators/ventless fuel caps) things went rapidly downhill.

I have read several horror stories here recently at Lawnsite about these same problems that you are have...and with Echo stuff in particular. Everyone blames the carburators.

Do a "search" on Echo trimmers and CARB and you'll find the threads.....:cry:
  7. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Buy yourself some Stihl FS 85 R's and never look back!!!!

Otherwise, pull the muffler and look things over yourself for gunk/buildup, remove spark arrestor screen and install a quality plug that's gapped correctly. If this doesn't help you are probably just kicking a dead horse trying to keep them up and running. I been there!
  8. Tony Harrell

Tony Harrell LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe someone should send an email to Mikuni, see if they could help us get around the forthcoming carb changes. Here's a cool thought. What if a California company manufactured aftermarket replacement carbs. Oh yeah, they're sticking us already. DOH!
  9. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Not that I would ever recommend doing anything not recommended, but... I have heard, somewhere, that after the warranty runs out on your equipment, remove the plastic caps on the adjustment screws on the carb. This will now allow you to adjust the equipment to run smoothly.
  10. tranum

tranum LawnSite Member

spark arrestors are removed when new. i do use NGK plugs also. as for the fs85, i purchased one in sept. does a great job but really hasn't had that much use yet. i'll do the search & some more reading. i hate to discard these 3 "fairly new" trimmers, but somethings gotta change.