handheld or backpack?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by KuttinKyle, Aug 10, 2009.

1. KuttinKyle

KuttinKyle LawnSite Member

im 15 years old, i currently have about 10 weekly accounts..i use a ryobi handheld blower currently. i would like a blower with a little more power for next season. should i get a backpack? and if yes what should i get? i really like echos because i have an echo trimmer. i dont have a ton of cash to spend as i buy everything myself. advice is appreciated.

2. mowerdude777

mowerdude777 LawnSite Silver Member

I hav 10 accounts as well, I have a bp and handheld, I like the bp a lot, it is nice after a long day compared to a handheld, but I would go for a bp if I were you then keep the handheld as a spare

3. KuttinKyle

what kind of bp do you have?

4. mowerdude777

I had a echo pb265l( liked it) it got stolen, now I have a kaw krb300( good blower) It was only 200 out the door, I think it is a good blower for my use

5. golfnpreacher

golfnpreacher LawnSite Member

Not knowing what kind and size the accounts you have are makes it difficult to suggest a response.

If the blower you have is working, why are you considering replacing it? Will the replacement help you do your job quicker? Will you save enough time to justify the cost?

I currently have 20 accounts which is about all I can fit into my work schedule. But I still use a hand held blower. It's 5 years old, but starts on the first or second pull every time. It doesn't blow 175 mph, but it does get the grass and debris off the drive and walks. What little time I would save with a backpack blower, I would lose by having to put it on and take it off.

If you think you're going to impress people because you have this "cool" blower, impress them with the size of your bank account and save the money until you HAVE TO get another blower.

6. KuttinKyle

thanks. is yours a tube throttle? thats what i would like.

7. mowerdude777

my kaw is, my echo was not, I personaly like the throtle on the left sinde I am left handed

8. IMAGE

IMAGE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from midwest

I like the BP models. They have enough power that you can actually cut down on edging just using the blower. No ****! on sidewalks that are overgrown, a BP blower can blow all the dirt and thatch off and you can find the edge of the sidewalk again, much quicker and cleaner then using an edger. Granted its not a replacement, but for customers that wont pay for edging, you can still make the sidewalk look a lot better with just a couple minutes of blowing.

Oh and Tube trottle is the only way to go.

9. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

i wouldnt use anything but a backpack blower

10. redmax fan

redmax fan LawnSite Bronze Member

- powerful backies allow you to really clean an accounts place up making a big difference for the customer when they walk out and see every nook and cranny of their yard and home all nice and clean

- wait to buy til winter because prices go down then

- if have sears by you keep checking them out for sales on husqvarna backies in winter because i got an excellent one for my home with a kawasaki motor on it (motors great) on sale for 200

- check like craigslist looking for homeowners selling a backie , they wouldnt have used it very much . plus a backie motor doesnt get beat up because it doesnt push anything but a fan blade . so i wouldnt be super afraid to buy a used one from a homeowner . but wouldnt buy one from a lawn care guy

- to me tube throttles are lame , ive better control / flexibility of the tube without the throttle on it making it bulky