1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Handheld v. Backpack

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Cuttinitclose, Mar 21, 2009.

1. Cuttinitclose

Cuttinitclose LawnSite Bronze Member

I have 6 lawns this year but plan on expanding next year when I get my license. According to my signature I offer these services. I just can't convince myself to spend more than$300 on a backpack. I kinda want a Blower/Vac because thats what I have now a really like the convenience. I want it to be Gutter Attachment usable. So I have narrowed it down to these....

Stihl BG 66 L Blower $230
    BG 86 Blower $240
    SH 86 C-E Shredder/Vac $280
    Backpack USED no more than $300
    Can't you buy Vac Kits for most handhelds?
    Which would you recommend??

2. Cuttinitclose

Cuttinitclose LawnSite Bronze Member

Anybody willing to awnser?

3. JKOOPERS

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

better get a back pack if you plan on doing leaf clean ups

4. scagdude

scagdude LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

If you are going to get a handheld get the stihl bg86 but i would definitely go with a backpack, no question. i would spend an extra $100 and get the br 550 for $400 brand new. i personally have one and it is amazing!!! we will be purchasing another one soon.

5. PTSolutions

PTSolutions LawnSite Silver Member
    from OH

I along with many others on here, are of the belief that you can never buy a strong enough backpack blower.

honestly, why are the multiple models of blowers? strictly for affordability. if money wasnt an option, youd pick the most powerful blower to get the work done faster. I bought a br600 and never looked back. will be adding another this year as well.

6. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

Count me in on that comment, as well !! You get what you pay for .

7. LouisianaLawnboy

LouisianaLawnboy LawnSite Silver Member

Backpack, like me Echo PB620. I just mines in almost new condition for about 250.00 I think.

8. luis@NJ

luis@NJ LawnSite Senior Member

The new echo pb 500 is only like $329 i have the older 413 but the new one is a bit more powerful and its probably perfect for what you do. Just my 2 cents

9. signature lawns

signature lawns LawnSite Senior Member

Get the redmax EBZ8001 backpack blower you won't be dissapointed. Brand new they are $585.00 & change, but worth it...you will be very happy.

10. LouisianaLawnboy

LouisianaLawnboy LawnSite Silver Member

I would suggest get a really good used one. Let someone else take the deprecration. Just my .02