Handicap Mower

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Mowerdad, Jul 9, 2007.

1. Mowerdad

Mowerdad LawnSite Member

Does anyone know of any company that makes a mower with a joystick? I know that Snapper used to, but it's discontinued. I know a young man with Muscular Distrophy, who's always wanted to mow lawns. When LCOs are in his neighborhood, he gets so caught-up by what they're doing that his electric wheelchair gets covered with grass! He's a really neat kid and I would love to help him realize his dream. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

2. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

I don't really know anything about Muscular Dystrophy, but any time I hear of someone getting too close to mowers it gives me the chills. How old is this young man? You might consider talking to a local LCO & see if they would let him tag along as long as he would like to. It would let him get a feel for things & see if he is able to handle the hard work. If nothing else, he could just get a regular Homeowner grade machine w/ a steering wheel.

3. Mowerdad

Mowerdad LawnSite Member

He's 15 yaers old and has very limited use of his hands. His electric wheelchair is operated by a joystick. He's definitly not going into business for himself...the goal is to simply allow him to mow his own lawn with the help of an able-bodied adult to lift him into the chair and watch over him for his own safety.

4. Duncan90si

Duncan90si LawnSite Member

5. Mowerdad

Mowerdad LawnSite Member

That's fantastic, Ducan90si ! The local Snapper dealer told me they didn't make on any more! I appreciate your help!

6. nick858

nick858 LawnSite Member

7. LarryF

LarryF LawnSite Bronze Member

You said he uses an electric (battery powered, no doubt) wheelchair; therefore, I presume he's paraplegic. With no muscular control of his legs, operating a rider lawn mower sounds like it could be very dangerous, maybe even deadly. You sound like a good-hearted person, Mowerdad, but maybe those in charge of his medical care should make this decision.

8. Tim Wright

Tim Wright LawnSite Bronze Member

I was going to sa the country clipper but was beat to it.

Tim

9. Mowerdad

Mowerdad LawnSite Member

I appreciate you're concern, LarryF, but I'm doing this with the blessing of his mother, who doesn't have resources like Lawnsite to get this type of information. I would never presume to know what he can and can't do. I'm simply doing the homework for them since it's great cause. This is something that his entire family is supporting and would be overseeing. They have even written a letter to Make-A-Wish Foundation, but that could take a very long time. Thanks again for the info!