Handicap Waiver?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AdamChrap, May 10, 2006.

1. AdamChrap

AdamChrap LawnSite Senior Member

I have a account with ODOT (Ohio Department Of Transportation). Today I got a message that I had to stop mowing until further notice. It turns out they have to get some type of waiver from a company that employees handicapped people say that they DON'T want it before they are even allowed to consider a offer from me.

OK OK, I get that this is setup to try to help handicap people get jobs. But, I feel cheated. I think this is a bunch of crap. I feel discriminated against. Besides I doubt that the owner of the biz is handicapped, So maybe I should go out and get a bunch of handicapped people to work for me? Then I could sit back and rake in the cash because nobody could even bid against me!? It should go to the lowest bidder or who they feel will do the best job.

Sorry I am a little fired up but I think this is wrong.

What do you guys think?

2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

That sucks, if a person is handicapped then they belong behind a desk, not a mower.

3. PGA

PGA LawnSite Senior Member

If its a state account then you should have them under contract for the year and it shouldnt matter that they told you stop.

You did make them sign a contract? Didnt you.....?

4. aDreamSoReal

aDreamSoReal LawnSite Member

Sue for discrimination.

5. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Hell I say lets just give them our tax dollars and let them stay home and laugh at the idiots that are out working. :dizzy: :dizzy:

The owner of the company gets subsidized for hiring handicapped people so he would get first crack at a job,
    and you could do the same as you suggested

6. AdamChrap

We work all on contracts but with this place it is a little weird. We mowed them last year then they said they were gona bid it this year. They forgot to do it so after 2 weeks of not being mowed they called and told us to just do it. With all the confusion we never got around to the contract.

Do you realy think I could win a dissemination case against a guy who employees handicapped people? right

7. AdamChrap

I give them :clapping: for wanting to work and not sit at home and collect money but this is not the way to do this.

8. PGA

PGA LawnSite Senior Member

If he told you to go ahead and do it you should assume he wanted to extend his contract and he should be held responsible for it.

If I was you I would call him and tell him that. Make it clear that you guys had a verbal agreement and he was wanting to carry on the contract into 2006.

If he says thats not what he meant then ask to speak with their legal rep. That should make him rethink it.

9. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

You think the state don't have legal reps? No contract is no contract, it could have been on a per cut bases. Try sueing the ODOT and they will bankrupt you before it ever comes to trial.

10. AdamChrap

I'm not gona sue, he is a nice guy and I think it was just a mistake. It's not his rule. I was just woundering if anyone had ever heard of this befor