Handiest book for an LCO to have?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KillaWhale, Jan 18, 2005.

1. KillaWhale

KillaWhale LawnSite Member

I just finished a clean up job and the home owner was asking me questions on many different topics. I was wandering if there is a handy book to read up on types of grasses, shrubs, trees, etc. When to prune, when to move plants and other suggestions. Kinda new to the game so be gentle. :D

2. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

Call your local county extension office, they may have some free info for you.

3. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

There is no one good Catch-all type book.

Ortho Problem Solver-good LCO book $$$$$Dig deep though
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...79/sr=2-1/ref=pd_ka_b_2_1/104-4024021-3135164
    Practical Horticulture - College text book very basic but has the essentials, not quite as much $$$$. I Still have my second edition.
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...24/sr=2-1/ref=pd_ka_b_2_1/104-4024021-3135164

If youlive close to college take look in their bookstore if they have a Hort program. Or call your local Ag Extension office, also a good cheap resource as well.

4. launboy

launboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from indiana

another great Ortho book is "All About Prunning"

5. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

Best book to carry with you is the one that contains the number to your lawyer, accountant, and insurance agent. Because everybody tries to screw you. I always carry books with info on plants. I try and sell a lot of upgrades and newer cultivars.

6. the scaper

the scaper LawnSite Senior Member

Lol! Aint that the truth? Dont forget the number for your equipment repair shop too for those occasional on the job mechanical questions

7. KillaWhale

KillaWhale LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies guys, sounds like I need to add a bookcase to the this winter.

8. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I also do fertilizer/weed control applications in addition to mowing (get licensed first!). I carry a 3 ring binder with pictures of common weeds in my area. Then I can SHOW the client a piece of paper with a NAME, Description & Photo of the weed/weeds that they have in their yard. It is then seemingly EASIER for me to sell them a spray plan to treat those weeds, since they have "third party verification" that they actually have those problem weeds.

Go to WEEDALERT.com You can print our pages for weeds that you have in your area. Also, if you don't know much about weeds, it is a good place to learn something.

Just something I find helpful.

Mike

9. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

Check Amazon.com for books on those topics. I have picked up a few good ones there.

10. scaglawnsnj

scaglawnsnj LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

WHY THANK YOU MY GOOD MAN...THIS SITE I FOUND VERY HELPFUL