1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Handing Toys, Branches, etc. In Customer Yard!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Gemini1971, Aug 26, 2006.

1. Gemini1971

Gemini1971 LawnSite Member

Sooner or later we all come across the lawn from hell for lack of better words. You arrive to find toys all over the yard and that large branch from the last storm they never moved. :nono:

How do you handle these situations? Do you just move the crap and accept it's part of the territory in the LCO business or do you approach it from a different angle? Thanks in advance for your input..

2. SamTheLawnMan

SamTheLawnMan LawnSite Member

As for toys....I just trim a little area when trimming and pile all the crap in the yard in that spot. (like in the middle of the yard...lol) Most of the time it's picked up by the next week. I guess I would do the same thing for tree branches. Most of my customers know this.:laugh:
  3. scagwildcat

scagwildcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from nw. ct.

i used to pick everything up, and then i noticed each week it got worse, more toys/junk. so the past few years i have just been mowing around them, now they get the hint when the toys are picked up and there are a bunch of missed spots on the lawn, however if its in the front yard and its a few toys i do move them..... i explained to most of my clients who have kids that im getting payed to mow the lawn not put things back in the toy box so to speak.. all of them have understood my point of view and toy/junk is no longer a problem... now im working on pet droppings lol
  4. RossP

RossP LawnSite Member

golf balls!! i hate golf balls!!:hammerhead: lol

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Yes-- they fly far if you hit them--
    I plan to pick up casual debris-- it is in the contract.
    A toy or two --well OK if it happens once ot twice, Habits need to be broken fast.
    twigs are overlooked-- branches they pay for.
  6. bln

bln LawnSite Senior Member

I had a problem lawn and after picking the toys each week I finally ran one of their big squirt guns over with my 60" rider. Never a problem again.:dancing:
  7. Gemini1971

Gemini1971 LawnSite Member

You still have that account? LOL!!!
  8. Poncho25

Poncho25 LawnSite Senior Member

Dog Bones......the hard plastic ones I hate!!! All my clients know that I will clean up any branches and yard stuff but I will not clean up after them. I require all my clients to make sure all toys, tools an the such are not in the yard, if they are and they are burried in the grass and it does damage to the mower, they are responsible for repairs. So far all my clients have not had an issue with this, the only ones I have the issue with are the ones with dogs where the dogs hide their toys.....
  9. MowerMoney

MowerMoney LawnSite Senior Member

How about a golf club. I stopped 1" from running over it with my Z. Ya think that would have done some damage :dizzy:
  10. MowerMoney

MowerMoney LawnSite Senior Member

Or how about 2 months into the season and suddenly there's all kinds of lawn furniture, trampolines, picnic tables, etc in the yard. And what really gets me, is that you can often tell that the chairs are "never" used as they will be in the exact same position as they were the week before.