1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Handle this one

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dmk395, May 22, 2002.

1. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ma

I am looking for some advice here. Currently my three man mow crew, cuts about 20 accounts per day. One man on the trimmer and the others on Exmark 48" belt drive walkbehinds...one bagger, one mulcher. How would you speed up this operation, and still satisfy your customers. Upgrade to hydros with sulkeys? Ztr's? Standers?
  2. trimmer

trimmer LawnSite Senior Member

If you just upgraded to sulkies it would increase your productivity with the current equipment. The hydro walkbehinds will also increase your productivity.
  3. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

3 man crew can only do 20 per day? EGATS! Get rid of the belt drives. You will find that a walk behind with hydro will increase your time CONSIDERABLY! I speak from MUCH experience here. I can do about 16 lawns in a day just by myself with just me and my 52" hydro walk behind. Most of mine are just residentials though. Definately get a sulkey type of unit. Research as many types as you can. Perhaps if you have friends in the industry in your area maybe they will let you demo them.

Three years ago i was maxing out at 12 lawns a day with a three person crew. Now i do 16 solo. My math aint so good, is that an improvement? hehe.

Hydro, sulkey, and mulch. You will find your days rather quiet. Good luck.
  4. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

YEa, what these guys said. The easiest fix is the sulkie and work from there.
  5. Esby33

Esby33 LawnSite Member

I would buy one ZTR and one hydro walkbehind. Or--Two ZTR's. I ran strickly walkbehinds prior to buying a Lazer Z this last fall. I tell ya what, they really cut well, and increase your productivity a ton. Even if they are the same size deck as your walkbehinds, they are so much easier to manuvre. And of course speed....buy one and you will buy another, gaurnteed.
  6. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

ztr an one less helper ,or two trucks an one more helper.
  7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Sulky will fix your immediate need. If you had a good Z (exmark ) then you probably could get rid of 1 helper or put on a few more jobs. 1 Z can do more than 2 w/b's without sulkies.
  8. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

The Lazer really helped me. :)

The biggest improvement is that when its time to use the 21", trimmer, or edger , I'm not nearly as tired from fighting the WB, so I move much quicker...

Not to mention the 20 - 30 % from the mower itself. Having a reverse also helps alot. I was told you can't mow grass in reverse, BULL-SHT !!

I've wasted waay- way too much time and energy wrestling with the gear drive Toro....:angry:
  9. Pro-Cut Lawns

Pro-Cut Lawns LawnSite Member

I would have one ZTR (exmark), one walkbehind and 2 men. They both jump in on the property with the ZTR mowing the wide open areas and walkbehind on the smaller areas of the property, or, just split the property in half one doing the front and one the back, etc. First one done grabs the trimmer and second one done grabs the blower. Knock it out and move on to the next property.
  10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Were the mulcher and bagger you were refering to the walkbehinds? If so, get rid of all the bagging jazz. Thia is WAY too time consuming. Do you ever have to double cut with the mulcher? If so, I would CERtainly go to side discharge with that, as well. Other than that, what all these other guys said hits it right on the mark. Oh, and if there is a little belt slippage, (which there's ALways SOME) put a little belt dressing on your belts on each side, only about an inch or two needs to be squirted, because the stuff works it's way around. Then, make sure your guys run these machines out away from stuff for a bit to get used to the feel, because I guarantee they've never ran any machine THIS responsive. You let out those handles, and the machine LITERALLY wants to JUMP from it's place. Like NOW!