Handle This??????????????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mslawn, Jan 16, 2006.

1. mslawn

mslawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from LA

What would you do? I have a street that has 4 good accounts in a row. I saw on the news the other day a picture of the house and where they arrested the owner for drugs. They found a kilo of cocaine,alot of cash, and some stolen guns. He owed me for last month so after seeing this on the news I just threw it up as loss for last month and was going to quit cutting it. His wife called about five minutes ago to pay for last month and asked us to keep cutting it. I wonder how my other 3 customers will feel if I keep cutting this guys lawn? I do not want to lose them as customers. However somebodys got to cut it or that annual rye is gonna take over. So what would you do? It was due for its next visit in 2 days, but i put it off for another week to think this out. I may just ask my other three customers what they think about me cutting it or what?:confused:

2. Joey bag a' donuts

Joey bag a' donuts LawnSite Member

Increase his bill by $30/cut. Sounds like he can afford it. payup

3. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know this is a hard one..had the raid occured while you were on the property,you could have been taken in for "Being in a place"out of missunderstanding or something.
    Places like that can also have violence happining around them like shootings and stuff.I don't think I would personaly continue to cut their lawn.

4. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

????????????????????????????????????????????????????

But yeah you might get shot.

5. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

Personally I would keep your other customers out of the decision.No need to ask their thoughts it should be your decision and only yours.They don't need to know why you are still doing it. You are a business man and need to take care of you and your family. He only has been charged not convicted yet.Heck it could be his wife's.:) With me saying all that I would get paid for what they owe you and pass on cutting the lawn any more. Because they probably will be investigating all of his expenses and payment and such.

6. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Personally, I would drop him in a heartbeat. I don't think that would do much for your image and more importantly your safety. Sure, your family might need money, but they also need a father and a husband.

7. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

First of all, it is none of the neighbors' business whether you cut it or not. If you decide to cut it and they don't like it, tough. However, you are in the clear to this point assuming you honestly have no idea that drugs were being dealt at that house. Now that you know, you better not set foot on that property or even look that direction while you are doing the other lawns. . .guilt by association. :nono:

Besides you don't owe this guy or his wife anything - they put you in harms way and want to continue to do so. In fact, they owe you but collecting it would mean further contact with them which you should avoid - cut your losses and move on.

8. slebeau20

slebeau20 LawnSite Member
    from USA

Dump them. Your company name doesn't need to be on that lawn.

9. mslawn

mslawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from LA

The other customers are very good customers and I have had them has clients a long time, that is why I was considering asking them how they would feel. The news said this guy has been arrested 12 times and convicted 4 times on similiar charges. I really don't want to cut there anymore because I do not want myself or my guys to get shot in a driveby. This house is an expensive house in a very upscale community, so his "business partners" know where he lives now because of the publicity from the paper and television. The paper also listed that he had several houses in this city and they were searched also and found stuff.

10. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

your family needs you, nothing else really matters... you can always get another account, but your kids or wife or parents cant replace YOU..