handlebar in the gut

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Aug 22, 2003.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

for you guys that use walk behinds. ever take one in the gut? while mowing, i hit a stump , the mower stopped, i didnt. took a nice shot in the ribs from the handle. ever happen to u?

2. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

Bobby,
    this used to happen to me all the time when I ran wb's. I used belt drive wb's and when a sudden stop would occur my hands would usually get cut up on the nuetral thumb lever locks and sometimes almost feel like I was going to go right up over the mower.

3. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Yes Bobby I have taken a few to the ribs and other body parts over the years of running walk behinds. If nothing else it really wakes you up! Worse then that is when running an older Gravely walk behind using the sulky and you go up a hill. That will put the handlebars right in your lap if you know what I mean. That is not fun at all.

Gravely_Man

4. Rick Jones

Rick Jones LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

That is just one more nice feature of Toro's T-bar. The primary handlebar is one solid piece, parallel to the operator's gut, with no protrusions sticking out to impale you. If you do collide with it, the force is spread evenly across the belly, rather than imparting all that energy in a 1 square inch area.

5. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Yup, hurts like hell for a while.

6. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

I know a guy who was going all out on his WB with Velke attachment. There was a stump cut off a few inches above the ground, and he clipped it with the deck. The mower didnt move much but it sort of jack-knifed.
    The guy was thrown over the bars but his right hand got pinched between the lever as he went over and it darn near tore it off.
    Ever since hearing that story I go extra slow on new props and try to always wear leather gloves.

As far as I am concerned the worst I did (so far) was got pinched between my WB and a fence. I had a belt drive and I was going up a steep hill which is close to a fence. I missed a little spot so I pulled in on the levers to let it drift back, and then I applied full force to stop the mower but the brakes would not hold, and it wedged me against the fence. I had to push like Heck to get that 650lbs off of me.

Jimbo

7. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Been there, done that. Also fun when you actualy flip over the bars, landing with your back on the belts and pullies, and your feet hanging over the front, touching the ground. :dizzy: Scariest part was the blades were still humming right along. '

A buddy of mine had an eXmark climbing the side of a house, straight up, then bounce down, then up again. Yup, fun stuff.

~Nest

8. Green in Idaho

Green in Idaho LawnSite Senior Member
    from Idaho

I was mowing around some big Maples one day, I think the exact species was Moving Maples. And all of a sudden one moved 6 ft across the lawn and planted itself right in front of the mower and I had no time to stop. Wham right into it! Hurts!

Dang those trees move FAST! :alien:

9. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Yup, the H bar is the same way.....

safety handle.jpg

10. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

the worst i got was clipping something with the deck and i had the handle bar go right into my hip. i'm a pretty tall/skinny guy, so i've got no fat to cushion it. I had a nasty bruise the next day. it hurts just thinking about it.