Handling differently w/Stripe Kit?

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by tippy, Apr 11, 2003.

1. tippy

tippy LawnSite Member

I recently started using the stripe kit on LHP5223KA. Should I notice the handling of the machine to be different? I have the stripe kit set at the 3"- 3.5" setting. I feel the bumps more. I'm assuming because the roller is extended across the back vs. the (2) anti-scalp wheels. It's concerning to "feel" the deck as it passes over rough spots.

The other thing that I notice is while backing up, the wheels want to spin more easily.

Maybe I'm just paranoid. What do you think eXmark? Does anyone else have the same experience?

PS The stripe does look nice. Definite difference.

2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I'm not familiar with the settings you have your roller set at, but with my deck set to cut at 3.25", the bottom of my roller is still 1.5" off the ground. If the roller is set one hole lower, I really notice a lot of digging in on corners and general roughness that you depict. This roller is NOT designed to roll over the ground, rather simply bend the grass and roll when it has to.

How high is the bottom of your roller at a 3.25" or 3.5" cut height?

3. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

I have the same machine 52" HP with the roller. I too feel some of the high spots, like tree roots that fit between the tires and under the deck, but you should only feel the high spots, not like its rolling on the ground. I have no difference when backing up. I think you may have yours too low. Try setting it up higher and let us know what happens.

I have not had any digging in. And yes it makes an awesome stripe. I really like this set up.

4. tippy

tippy LawnSite Member

Thank you for your response TLS.

The 3" to 3.5" setting that I was referring to is in regards to the striping kit assembly instructions. eXmark gives recommendations on mounting holes to use based on your desired cut height.

My roller is not at 1.5" off of the ground at a 3.25" cut height. I'm a little over 1" at the roller. I am going to move the assembly up and see how "that feels". Thanks.

5. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

tippy:

Sorry tippy for the slow response, but I just read your post today. Has it helped to raise it up?

You will "feel" the high spots a bit more. The roller also acts as a rear anti-scalp roller. With the original anti-scalp rollers, you probably didn't feel these high spots as much because there wasn't anything there to hit the high spot and lift the deck.

I really don't know why your wheels are spinning more. Are these the anti-scalp rollers or the rear drive tires that we're talking about? This could just be a tire pressure issue. Check and see what you find out.

Talk to you later,

Dustin
    Exmark Customer Support

6. tippy

tippy LawnSite Member

A combination of raising the roller and checking tire pressure did help. It's handling much better now....with a stripe to boot.

7. dklawncare

dklawncare LawnSite Member

you guys have any pics of what the stripe kit can do...just curious, cuz i was thinkin about purchasing one for my 52Lazer HP

8. tippy

tippy LawnSite Member

dklawncare,
    Do a search on "stripe" and you'll be able to see plenty of pictures.

9. dklawncare

dklawncare LawnSite Member

I realize that, i have seen plenty of pictures of stripes. My 52 Lazer Z HP stripes pretty well, i was just wondering if anyone had any pics of their Lazers with the stripe kits. Thanks for the input though.

10. mylwn17

mylwn17 LawnSite Member

the striping kit works great, butI'have noticed the drive tires spinning more often when you turn around?