Handling Objections

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by George777, Feb 8, 2001.

1. George777

George777 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

I would like to hear how some of you handle objections. Today my partner and I placed in some bids on commercial properties. One lady said "the other guy is cheaper". It caught me off guard. I was stumped. once my partner and I got inside the car I told him this will never happen again. This was a new facility and had over 6,000 sq ft of turf. I was biding it for $260.00 a month. that was including the parking pad & edgeing and hedging.
    My partner and I felt we offered a fair price. How would some of you respond to this? I need a few one liners to be able to handle objections.

2. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

W ELL HE KNOWS WHAT HIS IS WORTH BUT I BELIEVE
    YOLL BE PLEASED IF YOU DECIDE TO GO WITH US.

3. Greenkeepers

Greenkeepers LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

May we compare estimates to ensure that you're getting equivalent services. If so then thank you for your time...

If no, then sell yourself and your services to tell her why she should go with you.

4. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

I was once told by a customer "you lawn boys are a dime a dozen" & I told him I felt the same way .....but that I'm a professional .....not a "lawn boy" & the lawn boys he speaks of gives the working man a bad name anyways....

it's easy to low ball in the winter .....just tell them "you get what you pay fore" and when he stops coming around in the regular season to give you a call for a "new bid" ....just rememeber "you can't please all the people all the time" ....work for a fair amount which can make you the $$ you need

5. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

I would have told them:
    "ThankYou for the opportunity to bid on the grounds management of your facility. Unfortunately at this time I am not able to do the work you have requested for any less than we have stated in our propsal."

I would attatch a business card to the portfolio and then ask the contact person:
    "If things dont work out with the current contractor, I welcome your call. I would be interested in talking with you once again. Maybe at that venture things will have changed and we can better meet your needs."

This sounds to the prospective client as though you may be willing to drop your price at a later date. You are however, sugessting that they will get superior service if they are willing to pay more.

In all actuality what you have done is implanted "the seed" or thought process for them to call you first. You have not implied you would drop your price, and I would stick to my bid if they call back later. Unless of course you are completely out of the ballpark, way beyond fair market value.

At this point they will have gotten what they have paid for - a cheaper, less desireable service.

Hope this helps.
    Kris

[Edited by kutnkru on 02-08-2001 at 03:15 PM]

6. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I'm not sure which member posted this, but this is what he said:

If you were getting a heart transplant, would you take the cheapest bid.

7. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

That ONE sentence says it all.

Kris

8. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

well said ....& true ;-)

9. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

george777--it's not the "fair price" that gets the job but the best (read that to mean the cheapest, unfortunately) price.

large commercials in my area take sealed bids and you never hear the top bid price unless they are government.

medium to small commercials in my area you are dealing with the owner, manager ot the purchasing agent. you can ask them what the other bid is and sometimes they will say. and sometimes they will lie to you. tough choice to ask this question.

I always build extra profit into a bid so that if I want the job bad enough to dicker the price, I can.

GEO

10. You were way overpriced. That job will go for between $100 and $125 a month in growing season only, NOT in year round payments.

6K of turf is a tiny job.