handy man services

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by flossy, Feb 16, 2004.

1. flossy

flossy LawnSite Member

Is there a great demand for handy man services? If so what services do you offer, and what are the most requested services?

Thanks

2. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

In addition to LC the most requested service is believe it or not changing light bulbs for elderly customers next to that is fixing leaky plumbing (traps, toilets and faucets), I always have my box of plumbing supplies with me (quickie repairs), If real repairs and special parts are needed I will set up a date & time to do the work. Easy extra income.

BobR

3. pcnservices

pcnservices LawnSite Senior Member

Yers there is a huge demand for it. Many big contracting companies dont like doing the small stuff. There is no money in it for them. If you can network with a big company or companies to refer those small jobs to you, that can also work for you.

In the beginning I had only a few lawns to mow and I started doing handyman work to fill my hours when I'm not mowing. I still do handyman work, but it gave me an oppurtunity to learn, gain confidence and I started doing bigger jobs where there is more money in it. Some of my biggest projects completed in 2003 were finishing a 2300 sqft new construction house on two levels, finished a 1300 sqft basement, hardwood floor installations, kitchen remodels, re-roofing, "capping" a flat top roofs, replacement windows, siding, decks & fences, pergolas, etc.

All of this was done while still mowing 50 lawns. How do we do it? I dont know. I hired a carpenter to help me on some of the bigger projects, while I had part time help helping my wife mow the lawns.

Do repair and maintenance work on: doors & windows, drywall counter tops, floors, gutter cleanouts, weather proofing, deck power wash and seal, insulation (blowing insulation in addicts), cabinets, molding, trim work, holiday decorations, tile work, painting, bathroom caulking, roofing repair (caulking and replace broken shingles), mesh screens, fence installation and repair (easy one) and much more ... The sky is the limit.

Basically you have to become a "honey do" handyman. How many times have I done something simple for somebody and the lady said: "you know, it would've taken my husband 3 years to do that"

Hope this helps and give you a few ideas
    Good Luck
    PC

4. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Yes, At times I am as busy with handy-man stuff as I am with lawn care. As more and more people become divorced it creates a huge pool of single women, who for the most part, have no Idea how to fix minor things around the house. I have the same type of demand from the widows as well. I always keep some electrical stuff and plumbing supplies with me. Lots of tools.

5. flossy

flossy LawnSite Member

Thanks guys for all of your info.

6. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

The most common thing we get asked to do inside the home is painting, it seems like people always want to hire that out.

Outside the home the things we are asked to do most often is fence repair and deck staining.

I think you could make a pretty good living doing handyman type services for single women the elderly and those that just don't have the time or knowhow to do it themselves.

7. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

I have a wealthy retired couple as clients - they would rather pay someone to change a lightbulb than do it themselves. Their last handyman isn't doing it anymore and they have had a heck of a time finding another one. They're not cheap, willing to pay for this stuff but not enough people out here providing this kind of service.

8. parkwest

parkwest LawnSite Senior Member

For a lot of the stuff you guys mention on here that you do, you may want to check with your licensing boards because in most statees you need to be licensed to do a lot of it.

Lord knows no one wants to be called a scrub on here. LOL

9. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

A lot of times, we are the people who customers call when they don't know who to call. Constant minor repair jobs.

As to licensing, many times it's fine to fix a screen door or reattach a shelf. When you get into actual construction, then you may be running into regulations, but most customers don't care, they just want something fixed.

10. Let it Grow

Let it Grow LawnSite Senior Member

I'm starting to do more handy man services, especially in the winter. Tommorrow I'm going to "re-set" a mail box. (The person who put it in originally didn't use cement & it's leaning real bad)

I'm going to look into doing more of it. Maybe doing decks, remodeling, drywall, etc.