Handy tips to your fellow landscapers ....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by alpine692003, Oct 2, 2004.

1. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

I think there was a post or something about giving tips, but oh well ...

Here's one for you guys ....

In an open trailer with sides, put a tarp down on the trailer (make sure the tarp is extra strong) then just dump stuff ontop of the tarp.. ie) clippings, branches, whatever...

Then when you're ready to dump at the dump yard, just drag the tarp out and there ya go!

I just figured this out yesterday, instead of 40mins of using a metal rakes, pitch fork to pickup debris and remove it to the disposal yard I layed a tarp, tossed stuff on it then dragged it out.. 5mins instead of 40mins..

2. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

Or, get a hydraulic dump box. Now I dump in 30 seconds!

3. alpine692003

LOL, for those that can't afford that yet ...

payup payup payup

4. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

Trust me, it's a luxury! Especially after years of pulling debris out of the a$$ end of a pickup with nothing but a curved pitchfork.

5. alpine692003

LOL ...

I'm trying to get one later, but not now..

6. NC Scaper

NC Scaper LawnSite Member

bought one friday night, brought it home and could not wait to test it

7. NC Scaper

NC Scaper LawnSite Member

but hey thanks for the tip, have to get my guys to try that whren they have the open trailer

8. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

What's wrong with a pitch fork? :waving:

If you are just lawn maint., which i was, this seems a bit excessive for just dumping grass. (Refering to a dump bed that is.) Now that i hav had to unload some trees, branches, bark, gravel, brush, etc. I am thinking about one for sure in the spring. As i am buying a dingo i may have to wait a bit longer though. :cry:

9. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

wait until you get that tarp overloaded and you try to pull it out.. Ohh thats alot of fun.. Just watch the weight, b/c I overloaded mine all the time and I ended up forking it off and ripping the tarp..

Of course the dump trailer is the way to go, but it's not in everyones budget. I was in mine, and I love it! payup

10. z_clark

z_clark LawnSite Senior Member

I put two old tiers in the front of my trailer and run a tow strap from them to the back of the trailer. Where I dump debris, there are bulldozers to pull it off for you.

I have an old trailer just for trash. At the end of the mowing day we dump all the weeds and trimmings into it. I take it to the dump every two weeks or so.