Handyman Online

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JimLewis, Jan 19, 2001.

1. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Anyone else been using handyman online to get leads? I have been using them for about 3 months now. Just wanted to compare notes.

2. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

jim--why don't you share your experience with us? thanks.

GEO

3. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

Yes jim i am a handy man,MODERATELY HANDY,
    How does it work.

4. Man Joe

Man Joe LawnSite Member

Jim,Did two handyman type jobs this week. Money was good and enjoyed keeping busy.Am not familiar with handyman online.
    Could you give us some more information?

5. JimLewis

Sorry guys. I was just tired of typing last night so I made the post brief. I will explain...

Handyman online (.com) is a company where people go to find a contractor. A client will call, explain what type of service they need and then handiman calls 3 such contractors and has them contact the new client to give the new client bids. The client wins because they get qualified, proven contractor's and they get 2-3 bids with just one call. It's also free to the client. Handyman wins because they collect a fee for each referral they give to a contractor. Whether or not the contractor gets the job.

The referral fee varies by type of job. For landsacape maintenance referrals I think I pay like $30. For landscape design and installation I pay around $90. For irrigation system installs I pay around $70. One plus is they give out a 25% kick back on the money you gave them every 3 months.

Handyman gives me a free alpha pager and when they get a call I am paged with the clients address, phones, and type of work. It's my duty to get back to the client within 24 hours and make arrangments to give them a bid.

Handyman gets business because they have a pretty aggressive marketing campaign. They advertise on the radion (shows like Rush Limbaugh, etc.) and they are in most contractor sections of the yellow pages (e.g. landscaping, drywall, contruction, etc...) At least they are in all the phone books in my area. So they do get a decent amount of calls.

The down side is that you are bidding against one or two other contractors (depending on how many actually ever show up). The other bummer is that you pay a fee regardless of whether you land the job. Of course if you land one out of every 2 or 3 jobs it may be worth it.

I've just been trying them out this fall and winter. So far, I like it fairly well. They've kept their end of the bargain and they give me quality leads. I've landed a few jobs. And being winter, I am surprised to still be getting a call a week or so from them. I have also had my share of no shows too. On my part that is. Sometimes they page on Friday afternoon and I am already on my way out for the weekend and when I return it's too late. Se las vis.

Do I recommend it? I dunno. It seems to work. But I don't know if it's the best return on investment. I think I could maybe generate a better return on investment through my other marketing venues.

But I am waiting for spring to see. My idea is to have several marketing tools working for me so that I can grow as much as possible this year.

Also, I think in order to sign up you must be licensed, bonded and insured. And we were only a lawn care co. until last year (and as such weren't required to be L, B or I) and so maybe that's why they only contacted me recently. However, I may have decided to get bonded and insured (a few hundred $) in order to use these guys if I had known about it.

[Edited by jimlewis on 01-19-2001 at 10:59 AM]

6. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

I tried to use them to get a contractor for some concrete work-they claimed to have contractors in my area (based on ZIP code) well the two contractors who called were 40+ miles away and both them and myself realized that the travel time would not make it woth their while to scope the job.

The folks at handyman online were very easy to deal with, actually they called me several times to be sure someone had contacted me and were sympathtic to the distance plight and noted that they were attempting to increase their listings of contractors to help eliminate the problem I encountered.

I would recommend that anyone needing more work to sign up with them (as well as those who need work done) the customer service (followup) I recieved was phenomenal.

7. JimLewis

Well, one nice thing about Handyman online is that the contractor gets to choose his own radius. In my case, I have told them to only give me calls where the clients are within 5 miles of my house. Seems to work.