hanger in side of rear tire

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by timmac, Jul 7, 2006.

1. timmac

timmac LawnSite Senior Member

Can you plug the side of a super z rear tire? A hanger somehow puctured the side of my tire this evening. Also, is there anything to put in the tires to make them more durable?
    thanks

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

The technical answer is no, but...

About 2 months ago, my 100-dollar trailer tire caught a nail towards the side, it was still on the tread but it was beside the radial lining.

Technically speaking, you're not supposed to be able to plug where there is no lining, even non-radial tires have a lining.

But I got a 100-dollar tire here so you know what I'm feeling, so I put a plug in it real careful, and it held. No drilling or boring out the hole, just plopped it in there real nice and slow. And you have to do it yourself, most mechs will refuse. 2 months later, I've hauled some heavy stuff since and I got 50psi in it.

So you can try it, you got nothing left to lose, but be careful because the hole will grow bigger real easy and then you're up a creek. Go nice and slow, just drive it in there far as you can and then pull the tool back out all nice and easy, you won't have no problem getting it to go in, but don't spread the hole no further.

Another solution you might can try is an inner tube, depends, dunno...

As for what to put in it: Slime.

3. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

i wouldn't hesitate plugging the sidewall of a mower tire. But plugging a sidewall of a tire that is used on the road is UNSAFE! Topsites I hope that tire never blows out on you and gets you or someone else in a accident.

4. I've had sidewall plugs in mower tires hold. But I'd order a new tire just in case. Here's who I buy from:

http://shop.cedarrapidstire.com/index.asp

BTW I've never tried one of the newer plugs that go into a tire from the inside. The kind with a head on it. They may hold permanently.

Good luck with it.

Dave

5. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

I have plugged several [mower tire] sidewalls and have had no problem.
    My Hustler Hydro walk has had a plug on the [inside] rear tire sidewall for about 3 years now. It doesn't leak.
    I have plugged a Turf Master rear tire on the Hustler Z on the [outside] and have had good sucess.

Be sure to trim the excess material from the plug so there is not a lot hanging out. I got into something and the plug that was on the [outside] of the Turf Master worked loose and leaked and I had to redo it. It lasted until I got new tires last month.

I go to NAPA to buy good quality plugs. I try to keep a good asortment of varing sizes.

6. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

I have a sidewall plug in my mower tire. It has been there since last season. I just used plug glue to lube the plug and pushed it in and waited for the glue to set. About an hour. then filled it up. I have had no problems since.

Now on a car tire, NEVER.

7. jimmbo407

jimmbo407 LawnSite Member

I had a similar size piece of wire get into my side wall of my ZTR. I used a can of fix a flat just to get through the day. I was going to plug the tire at the end of the day and could not find were the puncture was. That was this spring and it has held since. I do think about it alot. I am thinking of putting new tires on. I am sure it will be a mess when I change them, from the fix a flat.

Fixing a sidewall on a low pressure low speed mower will be fine.

8. timmac

It leaked out really fast. The hanger is still in the tire. Will the local tire shop put a plug in it or is it easy to do yourself. I have never plugged one myself. And what should I put in it to help with future punctures.

9. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Install an inner tube....or one of the above.

10. timmac

This might be dumb, but where can I get an inner tube for the tire? thanks