Hangin' out with celebrity

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ProSeasons, Mar 28, 2001.

1. ProSeasons

ProSeasons LawnSite Member

Got to see the inside of the Dixie Chopper factory today, and guess who I was lucky enough to land as a tour guide? That's right, Mr Double Blade himself, Eric of ELM fame! Like the Jamacians say,MASSIVE COOL, MON!! I'll tell you what,they overengineer the H#@L out of those Choppers, boy! Want proof? Take it from a 330 pound ex-college nosetackle. I plopped my big fat butt on top of a XWD2600 and it did'nt budge! It didn't even know I was up there! Ask Eric or Dave. Thanks again for the tour guys! And thanks to Dixie Chopper, too. God knows they have enough to do without me looking over their shoulders.I had a great time!

2. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

Somehow I just dont picture Eric and Ire/Gonja/Jamaca in the same sentence. He definitely however wears the title of Mr. DC without a doubt.

Just out of curiosity what did the plant have to say about double blades??

Kris

3. ProSeasons

kutnkru, they've got these prototype blade stacking brackets in one of their parts bins, kind of like they're toying with the idea of offering them as an accessory.

4. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Now we know where Eric will work when he quits the lawn business! Both of you guys probably felt like a kid in the candy store!

5. ProSeasons

Heck ,yeah! I did'nt want to leave! Had to get my kids, though. Had the privledge of seeing the S'urbn T'urbn(sp?) completed and driven off the line. View did'nt last long, though! I was shocked by the raw speed of this thing, being a rookie. Anybody got one of these mowers, the dual Kohler 20 horse?

6. Plowzer

Plowzer LawnSite Member

Yes, the twin-20hp is awesome! I can't see mowing anything with less power :D I use it on the smallest of yards too...get very funny looks..LOL The double-blade bracket is available from D.C., been using them for a few years. Lucky you, talk about a big-kids playground...I also can verify the abuse these mowers can take..mowed down 6ft. weeds in a muddy ravine once, after a 4wd JD brush-hog tractor got stuck. The JD made it about 5ft bofore getting stuck. If you guys could have seen the chopper go through this stuff! Over-engineered, over-sized, over-powered, incredibly fast, over-priced? not in my line of work.
    I checked out a mower before i got the DC. It was $48,000.
    These are the most productive mowers you can buy, period.

7. TLBumpus

TLBumpus LawnSite Member
    from W. Ky

i have a surb-turb 40 hp that i like very much .It will run 15-16 mph with blades turned off .Not sure how fast it will mow but i have mowed a 7 acre open field in one hr that i can run full speed most of the time on.On lawns cut weekly it has a good cut even at full speed.

8. sgreanbean

sgreanbean LawnSite Member
    from cal

HEY! I WANNA GO ON A TOUR! really! how and were? i wanna dixie but dealer left power equip, so there is no dealer in my area

9. Plowzer

Plowzer LawnSite Member

Try Olsens' Car Care in Atlantic, IA. Talk to Jim. Great prices!!! I drove 100miles and saved $2000+ :D
    1-800-383-4108...tell him hi from Cory @ Greenworks :)

10. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Give DC a call the day before you go and they will give you a tour. The factory is West of Indy about 45 miles between I74 and I70. The biggest town around there is Greencastle.