Hanging lights

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AMAC, Nov 25, 2003.

1. AMAC

AMAC LawnSite Member
    from MO

Does any one know what the going rate is for hanging holiday lights? (ex. - per ft., hourly, steep slope, no slope) any help is appreciated.

2. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Not sure of the going rates - hourly, linear foot, whatever. But I have a buddy who just took a job with a local LCO after working for a couple of the irrigaiton suppliers for 4-5 years, and is selling the landscape lighting and holiday lighting. Apparently the average job is about $1000 for holiday lighting. He just sold a job for about $5500 and gave one bid for over $8000. I can't imagine paying that for 1.5 months of holiday lighting.

3. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

4. bluemoon7

bluemoon7 LawnSite Member

AMAC, I do lighting installs, and do very well at it. Where will you be getting the lights? I use all commercial lights and am a perfectionist with my cords, timers, the way I wrap etc.. It takes time to become good at design, load calculation, etc. On deciduous trees every single branch should be wrapped twice. We charge new customers per string to buy ($5.99)them and per string ($5.99)to hang them, $50 misc. fee (covers first 100 ft C-9 or 100 strings of minis)+ $10 for every adddittional 100 ft of C-9 or 100 strings of minis (this covers tape, zipties, gutter clipsetc) We also mark up the cords, timers, and triple taps. All prices include install and take down. C-7 or C-9 is $2.00 per ft, installed and taken down. The steeper the peak, you mark up the price. If you need a bucket truck to do the job you need to figure out how long it will take to put up , and take down and put it in the estimate. We don't mark up the rental price but we make sure the cust knows up fornt it will take a bucket and he will be paying for it. Existing customers pay the same rates they just don't have to buy ther lights. Once you become good at it you should be able to wrap 12 - 15 strings of minis per hour or 100 - 150 ft of C-7/C-9 per hour. Please e-mail me if you need any other info.

5. PAXLSI

PAXLSI LawnSite Member

Bluemoon7 how do you do lights on a steep two story roof. I have a 28' ladder, I about slid off my in-laws house yesterday. Pitch of roof was to much. Do you use larger ladders or do you use a lift of some sort. Thank you

6. Jroctx

Jroctx LawnSite Member
    from Austin

I read an article in the local paper where one particular company charges $60 an hour with a $400 min. The article did not specify if that was a man hour. The woman hanging the lights and decorations said she is limiting her service to only 40 houses this year. The house she was working on to 13 hours, and will require another 3 hours to remove.

Here's a link to the article:
    http://www.statesman.com/life/conte.../life_entertainment_f35c0b5c0011e0440013.html

I had a client call asking if we where hanging lights, because they were getting rediculiously outrageous quotes from other companies. Although it is lucrative, we just don't have the man power, nor insurance for that service.

I referred her to a buddy, he informed me he quoted them $49 per man hour. They usually send 2 guys out, and I think in most cases hang customer supplied lights. They have to keep those HB2 workers busy!

Call around, see what the going rate is in your area.

7. Doster's L & L

Doster's L & L LawnSite Senior Member

Do any of you that hang lights store the lights for the customer? I talked to Bright Ideas about becoming a distributorship for them. They had an option for storing the lights for the customer. It seemed like their distributors were making big bucks hanging lights.

8. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

There is money to be made but this is a very extensive business. You need to know alot. First circut loads so there wont be any over loading thus causing a fire. Only install products you sell, and then only approved commercial lighting, nothing sold in retail stores, again nothing sold in retail stores. Know that you are responsible for any damages due to holiday lighting. As it was mentioned before insure you are insured for this service. As far as pricing yes about 1000.00 minimun is standard. Sotrage is a must because of the liability issue of the light being tampered with during the off season. For the 1000 you may get per-lit garland around doorway, pre-lit 36 inch wreath hung, about three small trees lit. and very few roof top lights. Not much for thousand.

9. LawnsRUsInc.

LawnsRUsInc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

We hang seasonal lights, just did two jobs today. One home we put 1,200 ft of c7 and did 7 25ft blue spruces at there property the pitch on 75% of the home was an 8-12 pitch. the other home was a brezze at 250 feet of c7. For charging we do about 2-2.50 per foot. All of us at Lawns R Us took an electical course for hanging lights which helped out very much so.

Jason

10. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member