Hannay reel problem HELP

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Kernie, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Kernie

Kernie LawnSite Member

i have a 200 gallon lesco tank with electric hannay reel.

when you push monetary button on reel for rewind nothing happens. motor is fine. battery is fine. brand new solenoid. almost positive solenoid is wired correctly. hot side positive battery wire connected to along with button. other side is connected to motor. and other wire lead from button connected to small screw at bottom of solenoid. and the other motor wire and negative battery lead grounded. that is correct i believe. if battery, motor, and solenoid r good is it likely button??

2. Kernie

Kernie LawnSite Member

only thing i am unsure of is where wire from negative battery connector goes to......is the ground correct

3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Bad ground is the most common problem. When you push the button...can you hear the solenoid click? A 12 volt circuit tester light is a help for something like this. They cost about $2. Find out what wire is hot. And what terminals are a good ground.
    Or maybe try connecting the battery negative directly to the negative wire from the motor. Usually the solenoid has a marking--a tiny S on one side for "switched"--this goes to the motor, and has 12 volts only when the button is pushed.

You can always bypass the switch with a jumper wire--making sure the motor and its ground is OK.

4. Kernie

Kernie LawnSite Member

no....I do not hear the solenoid click. i hear nothing

5. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

What happens if you bypass the solenoid and button with a jumper wire and momentarily connect the battery plus side directly to the motor plus side? Caution: reel may spin out of control.

6. Cadzilla

Cadzilla LawnSite Senior Member

Yep. I concur. Bad ground or bad switch but theres not much to those switches and they don't go bad all that often. Im betting on a bad ground.

7. Kernie

Kernie LawnSite Member

thank you for everyones ideas and help

8. GaryBK

GaryBK LawnSite Senior Member
    from Canada

I go through a switch about every 2 years on our reels FYI.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. woodlawnservice

woodlawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

OK I have a hannay electric reel as well.... how r these supposed to be wired up? Do the only reel up electrically. How do u unspool the hose? I just bought a lesco skid and its not wired up...
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. GaryBK

GaryBK LawnSite Senior Member
    from Canada

Like a poster says above and explained it nicely, you run the reel via a solenoid. Unless you want to convert it to hand crank. To unspool the hose you just pull it out. Your reel will need a swivel to the hose. 2 if its injection. Rittenhouse has these parts too. I use the heavy duty swivels with the grease fittings. Expensive but they last forever. We used to use cheaper ones but we go the ought them so fast it was false economy.
    Posted via Mobile Device