Happy new FasTrak owner!

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by ronfrish, May 9, 2004.

1. ronfrish

ronfrish LawnSite Member

Well, thanks primarily to this forum, I am the happy new owner of a FasTrak 20/52. I'm just a homeowner that wanted a quality ZTR that would cut down on my mow time. I had my mind set on a Toro Timecutter ZX and had never heard of Hustler or FasTrak, until I spent some time searching the web for info on ZTR's. For the same money that the Toro would have cost me, I have a 1000% better machine, thanks to this forum of very useful information!

I do have a few questions that I'm sure you can answer for me. I did try to find this info using the search, but had no luck.

1) Can the gator blades be used without the mulching kit?
    2) Does using the mulching kit reduce the speed at which you can effectively mow?
    3) I plan on a normal cut height of 3 inches, 3.5 in hot summer months. What height should I put the anti-scalping wheels at for this height? They came set at the highest setting, but don't seem to be very useful at this height.
    4) I mowed for the first time on a ZTR yesterday and discovered one problem when I was done. It seems that whenever I made a 180 turn to turn around and mow in the opposite direction, I left a wheel mark in the lawn. I assume that I was doing something wrong in making the turns. Any suggestions for a complete novice on how to not leave wheel marks?
    5) The manual says not to engage the pto at full engine speed, but gives no other advice on how to engage the blades. I tried it at slow idle and the engine stalled. What engine speed is recommended for engaging the pto?

This mower cut my mowing time by 1/3 the first time out. I had a 42 inch tractor before. I assume that once I get the feel for the twin levers, I'll be able to do it even faster. Actually, my lawn is so bumpy that I can't come close to top speed, or risk being ejected from the seat. I plan on getting the seat spring kit as soon as possible!

Thanks for all your advice, and thanks for having all this great information available. You helped me make the perfect choice and I couldn't be happier. Well, I'd be happier if my closest dealer wasn't an hour and 15 minutes away, but hopefully I won't be taking it back any time soon.

Regards...Ron

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Congratulations on the new mower and welcome to the family !!

I will answer your questions int he order they were asked.

1) yes, there are a lot of commercial and residential user's using Gators without mulch kits.
    2) yes and no, it depends on the moisture content and length of the grass, you will need to slow down in heavy and or wet conditions.
    3) the anti scalps are in the top position for shipping purposes only. I would start in the middle hole and test it on your next cut, depending on your conditions this may not be low enough, although it could also be to low if you have a lot of rough ground.
    4) this is going to take some practice, you need to slow down and do a perfect zero turn by moving each lever opposite of each other at the same time, even then in soft conditions you may tear the grass, then you will need to do a 3 point type turn at the end of your rows.
    5) I would allow the engine to warm up for a minute or so, then engage at 1/4 to 1/2 throttle, then take it to full speed once engaged.

What dealer did you buy your unit at ?

Pj

3. ronfrish

ronfrish LawnSite Member

I purchased mine at Chester Valley Equipment in Chester, NY. I called Maynard Miller Associates, Inc. in Poughquag, NY which would have been much closer to Poughkeepsie, but they said that they just sold the business and liquidated their entire inventory.

Is there another dealer closer to Poughkeepsie, NY that's not listed on your website? I want to purchase a few accessories(arm rests, seat springs, etc.), but really hate the idea of wasting almost 3 hours of drive time just to pick them up.

Thanks for your quick answers to my questions.

Regards...Ron

4. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

The closest dealers are listed on the dealer locater on the Hustler website.
    I know we are working on a new dealer in Spring Valley, I dont know if that would be better for you or not.
    Call them, I am sure they will ship anything you need via UPS to you, no need to drive 3 hours.

Pj