hard as a rock ground....help

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by New Image Lawn and Scapes, Mar 5, 2006.

1. New Image Lawn and Scapes

New Image Lawn and Scapes LawnSite Member

I have a customer who wants turf. She had sod installed last year but it has all died of and it is now a rock hard weed bed. It's about 10,000 sq. feet. Any suggestions. I dont have any big equipment like tractors or backhoe.

2. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

It probably died off because it was never prepared and she was trying to grow sod roots into a rock hard bed.
    I suggest removal of all weeds as much as possible and adding several yards of compost..mixing it into the soil at least enough to integrate it into the first 6"
    grade rake to remove as much debri as possible and water to settle,roll it,fill low spots and rake it to grade again then make sure you have a cust who is going to water and lay your sod

3. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Saturate with water to soften up.

4. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

cultivate, rototill, amend, do something anything to get the soil so the roots can get established.

if you don't you already know what it will end up like.

5. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

With no amending, new sod is ending.

6. SPLC

SPLC LawnSite Member
    from Zone 5

Rent some equipment. It's the only way you'll ever get the job done.

7. Burch's Lawn Care  LLC

Burch's Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Member

whats amending?

8. SPLC

SPLC LawnSite Member
    from Zone 5

Amending is adding nutrients to soil. So adding compost to a soil not suitable for growing would be amending. Mixing two soils to make one that you can grow in.

9. Burch's Lawn Care  LLC

Burch's Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Member

thank so much!