Hard Free Warning for tonight

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by yamadooski, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

I cover a few as well. I have been doing it for years and years. Not enough that I think it's worth the investment in something more permanent though.

I tried to get most covered yesterday evening. The stuff that was sheltered from the wind anyway. I'll have to go check and make sure they're still covered, and cover the more exposed stuff this evening. That's what sucks is doing it in the wind and cold. Oh well, it doesn't really become annoying until you get 7 freezing nights in three weeks, all seperated by 2 days where you have to go pull the cover only to put it right back on.

2. Plantculture

Plantculture LawnSite Member

i saw some pics of somewhere in asia where they built mini greenhouses out of plastic sheathing and wood slats. Then anchored the whole thing to the ground somehow. They put them over specimen cycads.

Worth it for rare plants I suppose.

I quit worrying about the cold after the last 2 years. Now my Licuala , Jackfruit, Pritchardia, and alocasia's have to fend for themselves. I just bring in the orchids.

3. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Whew! Definitely going to be a cold one. 8:15pm, ag stations in central and south Florida, 2m temps

Immokalee 34F
    Homestead 38F
    Palmdale 33F
    North Port 34F

Brooksville and Okahumpka 31F

Unless some clouds move in, many outlying areas will be below 20F by sunrise.

4. yamadooski

yamadooski LawnSite Senior Member

Wheww its nice to see quite a few here are smarter than the ones I saw today. I saw a guy cut a nice SA lawn today while I was putting up freeze cloth at a customers house. The customer of mine was helping out and said :thanks for not cutting my yard this week".
    Made a couple $1,000. today covering plants all day. We dont include this in our price not even the high end customers. So they all must pay....$$$$$.

5. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Possibly "heat tapes" which are designed to wrap around the pipes of mobile homes up here would suit your situation for heat under the covers. Designed for outdoor use. Automatically go on if temp falls below 35. Electric.

6. zturncutter

zturncutter LawnSite Bronze Member

Just checked my Taylor Ag thermometer at the barn, down to 30 degrees here @ 10:30.

7. zturncutter

zturncutter LawnSite Bronze Member

8. Looks like my cutting week next week will turn into no cutting clean-up week.....No problemo! :dancing::weightlifter::clapping::walking::cool2: