1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hard Freeze predicted for tonight in Florida

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Ric, Jan 2, 2008.

1. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Tonight we expecting a hard Freeze of 28 degrees for 4 hours. This is the first freeze since 2000 when we hit 31 degrees for an hour just before sunrise. It is noon and the Temperature is only 50 Degrees with 23 MPH wind gusts. Needless to say it is darn cold. I have been waiting for it to warm up a little more before going out side to drain my Pesticide pumps.

It has been too many years since I have had to worry about Pumps freezing. So what is the best way to protect my Pumps?????
  2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Gee Thanks for all the fine replies about how to protect my pumps. I have elected to Pee on them in order to keep them from freezing.

BTW It will be back up in the 80's by the week end. So I will miss all those great opportunity to Slip on the ice and shovel snow.
  3. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

rv antifreeze walmart sells it up here. if you cant get that id stay up and circulate it and clear the lines into the tank every hour once it drops down below 32 good luck ric
  4. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

There is a lot talk on this thread about protecting pumps from freezing, overnight temps. also you can use anti freeze or washer fluid. Run it htrough for a minute or 2 and you should be fine.
  5. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

Hey Ric you should change your signature line to "fine ill just pee on it"
  6. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

I thought the "pee" idea was a good one. A 30 pack should be enough to get you through the night.:laugh::drinkup:
  7. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

I would have replied, but I already told you what to do across the street. Tarp and a light-bulb, solid gold Ric. Serious.
    You may have occasionally referred to me as "Turf Turd1" But I wouldn't lie to you about the efficacy of the light-bulb.:laugh::laugh:
  8. ted putnam

Get to the liquor store quick... The sun's going down.:laugh::laugh::laugh:
  9. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Ric, I should have known something was up in Florida today. Dad called this morning to say he was leaving at noon and coming home for 2 weeks. He hates the cold (froze all his toes off years ago) and wanted to make sure it was warm here. We got 8" of snow but supposed to be gone by the weekend and warmer.
    PS the tarp and light method will likely work for your few hours freeze. If not just do what the orange farmers do and run a water sprinkler over your equipment all night.
  10. ted putnam

Ric, If you have more than one unit. Take strainer cup off .twist plumbing upside down. Fire up your pump.Pour RV antifreeze (1/2 gal) in main suction while running. Shut it down. put your strainer back together. You're good to 54 below. It took me 10 minutes to do 2 units. Gonna get down to 18 here tonight. Hope this helps.