Hard, Hard ground!

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by jcom, Apr 21, 2005.

1. jcom

jcom LawnSite Senior Member

Any tricks or tips for getting the holes in really hard ground. We had to help the 255sx pull through this crap and the hole digging is no fun at all.

Any power options. Augers, post hole diggers, or anything off the beaten path that might help us out? I had not idea it was like this as we were a block away last week and it was just fine.

Thanks for the help.

John :waving:

2. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey man, I feel for you. I've got to go to a stinking job today where I'm going to have to break through solid basalt with a 25# digging bar in order to plant a birch. Lady wants the tree "right there", oye vey.

In your case I'd think that the heavy digging bar would be okay for short jobs, or maybe just a hefty pick. I've had to use jack hammers in the past when augers wouldn't work, but hopefully you don't have to go to that extent unless if you get into solid rock. Watch the ol' back.

3. BSME

BSME LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

We use a pic ax first to loosen up the hole and then shovel it out.... you can usually take out a pretty big chunk with one swing

4. Instant Rain

Instant Rain LawnSite Member

Water. Dig a small hole and pour some water in.Let the water soak in then put some more in. A little water goes a long way.

5. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

By hard ground, you do mean soil, not rock?

If that's the case, instant rain has the idea. Water. The site you were on before was one where the home owner has been watering. On this one, they aint'. Here in Kansas, during a normal summer, if it gets real bad, I will even stop by a site and set up temp water to run a few days before I arrive. Water like you think you can really put it all back in about 3 days before you start. Something like 1" to 1.5" equivalent precip.

6. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

One of the last installed we ever did, back in 2002, was too hard to pull in the spring. We were in the worst part of out drought which made it worse. the blade just jumped all around and was pointless so we pulled off. i told the homeowner to water for 2 weeks. Well we then had a 3-4" snowfall. I pulled it the day after it all melted and it pulled great. Now I have to go back and redo half of it because he added onto the house and changed grade :realmad:

7. AceSprinkleRx

AceSprinkleRx LawnSite Member
    from Wyoming

Just getting involved in the repair and maintenance side of things here. When you say you have to go back and redo what's the best way to bring the line back up? Pulling it in or trenching to initially install it is obvious, but do you dig it back up by hand for small sections or single zones if the owner wants it moved or changed?

8. SproulsLawnCare

SproulsLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member
    from IN

Put a couple small nail holes in the bottom of a 5 gal bucket. Place the bucket over the place you want to dig and fill it with water. If the holes are small enough you will only get a small trickle that will let the water soak in instead of running off. Works great to water small trees and plants with as well!

9. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

AceSprinkleRx - honestly, I don't know what I'm going to do. Not sure how deep some of the pipes are that I will have to reattach to. I need to reinstall one manifold and RP. And find the wires and mainline leading to the second manifold. Should be fun. Especially since I don't have time. Hey Tony.....wanna help?

10. Sure why not....soon as the snow stops, I'll be right down!

8 inches last nite..you? I have a full Monday thru Thursday..my first full week in Colorado, could hardly sleep last nite I was so excited to actually do some work here...and now it is supposed to rain all week and not get above 45? Geesh!