Hard, Hard ground

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by justgeorge, Jun 7, 2005.

1. justgeorge

justgeorge LawnSite Senior Member

Hi Guys,
    Started my next install today. It's been hot and no rain for awhile. Digging in the clay was like digging concrete. Pulling pipe with my Ditch Witch 255sx wasn't any fun either; kept spinning the tires.

Where we had to dig and we hadn't pulled pipe (looking for cable, dog fence, etc) we tried pouring water to soften it up but that didn't help. I've run a water hose along the lines where I'll try pulling pipe tomorrow morning, but I don't know how much that might soften it up.

Other than a rain dance, does anyone have some tips for me?

Thanks,
    George

2. mickeyg

mickeyg LawnSite Member

We use a "tree root feeder" We found out pouring or using water on top doesn't cut it, plus you can adjust the depth with the root feeder. We bought ours in the garden section at Lowes

3. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I use a dig bar and a pickaxe.

I also have a nice riding trencher (DW 3500) and the one on my 410 when things are just too miserable to dig start holes.

4. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Put the job off for a few days and have the homeowner water by hand for a few days. I like the tree root feeder idea, but not realistic for the entire pulling or trenching.

5. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

Sometimes you 'pipe-pullers' need to get a trencher. I know that's a dirty word but they do cut through where often times a puller can't go. And a good water packed backfill and in a few months it's healed up. Or you can sod the trenches I guess if you want instant cover up.

Jerry R

6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Dumb question perhaps, but are you using a new plow blade, with the sharpest possible edges?

7. justgeorge

justgeorge LawnSite Senior Member

Yep, brand new Turf Shark blade. I'm now also the proud owner of a pickaxe, which helped on some of the holes.

Thanks!

8. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

Careful where pride like that might take you :)
    but........I've got a special not quite left handed for right handed people model that I have to get out every so often. It almost fits my hand......almost :)