1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hard hot start

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by lawnguy001, Mar 17, 2008.

1. lawnguy001

lawnguy001 LawnSite Member

Just purchased a used Toro Z 453. 579 hrs. Kawasaki FH 680v AS 21 engine.When it's cold , choke and it starts right up. After it's run for a while and gets hot , if you shut it off and try to restart , you have to grind and grind to get it going again. Never had this with my other Kawis , Any ideas? Rob????? Walt
  2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Have you checked/replaced the plugs ?

Some engines require full choke even while hot, Are you sure the choke is closing FULLY ?

First thing I would check for is nice blue spark across the plugs while it wont start, Sounds like the coils may be getting weak as they heat up.
  3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

It all depends how you're shutting it down, too.
    For instance, most of mine if they're running wide open and due to a switch override they shut down instantly..?
    If that ever happens it can be some hard starting there, be glad you got electric start lol try recoil!

It took time but I eventually learned they have to cool off some before they're shut down, not sure why.
    So, I always let my engines idle for about a minute before shutting them down.
    I know it wastes fuel I hate it, too...
    But it's better for the engine, to let it cool off away from the worst of it.
    Then it's no problem.
  4. lawnguy001

lawnguy001 LawnSite Member

Choke was the 1st thing I checked and, yes, it's closing all the way. I tried choking while hot and it didn't make a difference. I'll put some plugs in this pm and see if that makes any difference. I'd hate to think that the coils are getting weak after only 600 hrs.
  5. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Try some of those Champion plugs with the shortened electrode. It made a difference in my 19 Kaw. Tony