1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Hard soil

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by VO Landscape Design, Jul 19, 2012.

1. VO Landscape Design

VO Landscape Design LawnSite Senior Member

I have a planting along a 3 year old garage, 25' x 2'. The ground is almost impregnable, some leftover gravel but mostly soil. Shovel digging is next to impossible and tiller would just run across the top. I am a single operator with basic equipment. I was thinking maybe renting a post hole digger then tilling after. Any other tricks or ideas?
    Thanks VO
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Pick-axe,,, then add compost and other ncessary ammendments, before it goes back to its natural state...

3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

But Iowa has good soil everywhere. I am thinking moisture--and plenty of it--is the key. Sandy soil gets soupy. And clay gets like jello. You may have to wait for a few days of rain.

4. VO Landscape Design

VO Landscape Design LawnSite Senior Member

I thought of that shortly after I posted. Have to wait for it to be in the shade, 100 degree days. Definitely needs amendments.
    VO

5. wrager

wrager LawnSite Member
    from ATL

Baby shampoo at 3oz. per gallon (I use generic stuff). Then use a soaker hose and trickle for 24hr. Works well.