Hard staring echo timmers. Buy something else????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by newbomb, Jan 6, 2007.

1. newbomb

newbomb LawnSite Senior Member

There was a thread the other day discussing echo trimmers being hard to start and having carberator troubles. I have 2 2601 echos that dont start well and a 261t thats 16 months old, same thing. I wonder if its worth paying someone to rebuild them or should I jump ship and go Redmax or other model? I really don't know wether to fix these or get something else. I figure it will be about $100 each to repair so $300 buys 3 refurbished trimmers that might last a year or 2 or invest in 1 new trimmer thats more reliable. What would you do?

2. cdsang

cdsang LawnSite Member

I work for an LCO. I have used Toro, Ecco and Stihl. The Toro seems pretty beat up so it doesn'ts get used. The Ecco was brand new and the Stihl was about and year or 2 old by the time I used it. I mainly use the Stihl and it seems to start more often and easyer then the Ecco. We last used it around when it was in the 40s out and it took about 20 mins to start. Don't get me wrong, the Sthile can have trouble to, but this stuff gets wet just about every time it rains. The only time it gets put in a dry area is when we know for sure rain alot and high winds comeing soon. I also work at a golf course for about 3 years now and use only Stihl trimmers. They get used alot(sadly) and they seem to be good for 2-3 years of heavy use before you have trouble with them but you can still(no pun) start them ok. Last year I bought a Sthil 110 R and have no trouble starting it. I also keep it dry. The LCO seems to like useing 32:1 fuel while I used the recommened 50:1. Thats my basic history with timmers. Anyway I suggets a Stihl keeping it dry with 50:1 fuel.

CD

3. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

I had the same problem. I asked my dealer and he said that you need to replace the spark plug more often. I did and it starts much easier. I don't mow every day so replacing plugs twice a season is works for me but if you mow every day you should replace the plugs 4 or more times a season. Hope this helps.

4. Turf Technologies

Turf Technologies LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

I have a echo 260s and the 261t, the 260s is over 4yrs old and runs like new I use it all the time, everyday. Now the 261t is the same age as yours and is a bear to start and getting up to speed I could of been done allready.I should of taken it back when it was under warranty because its been like that from day one. I know its a carb issue. I have a new carb Im going to put on it and see what happens. Im sure if you have the dealer work on the carb it would be fine.

5. greenerman

greenerman LawnSite Member

Had an Echo years back and had problems. I am currently running a Honda 4 stroke, it is great!

6. AndyTblc

AndyTblc LawnSite Fanatic

cough: STIHL cough:

7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Since these Echo trimmers are straight 2 stroke they are NOT going to start on the first pull. So what is wrong with pulling the cord a few times, is this a big problem? Every 260 and 261T we have START and are excellent units. Some of them are 6 years old and still run every day. A lot of these new units with valves should be able to start easier but how long will they last?
    Taking a carb apart and putting a new kit in is not that difficult, but I doubt that is going to improve starting.

8. greenerman

greenerman LawnSite Member

Hmmm, do your mower engines have valves?

9. Just Mow

Just Mow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Gee, all my Stihl's with valves are 4 years old and dang it if they stihl start on the first or second pull everytime. I keep waiting for something to go wrong with them like everybody with an Echo predicts. But they are stihl running strong.

10. WALKER LANDSCAPE

WALKER LANDSCAPE LawnSite Bronze Member

We use all Echo products the W/E are hard to start in the mornings, but are better by the 2nd or 3rd yard. We can plugs 2 or 3 times a season.