hard start Honda GX240 engine

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by kmacd, Oct 25, 2011.

1. kmacd

kmacd LawnSite Member

Just bought a generator with a Honda GX240 engine. You have to pull the chord several times to get it started. Once you get it started it runs pretty good. I pulled the plug and I have never seen a plug look so bad it had chunks of carbon all over it. I adjusted the valves to specs, made sure the flywheel key was in the correct spot, changed the air cleaner, cleaned the carb and still have the same issue. I am not sure if i am doing the compression check correct because it has a compression release . I got 95 psig compression, which seems kind of low. Any hints of what it could be?

Thanks

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

95 is good enough to run this engine, You did replace the plug right ? And flush/clean the fuel tank and add fresh fuel ? What spec did you set the valves at ?

Make sure the choke butterfly is closing fully.....

Can you post the engine code and serial numbers as shown below ?

[​IMG]

3. kmacd

kmacd LawnSite Member

Yes I flushed the tank out, the fuel was starting to break down in the fuel bowl. I cleaned the carb/blew all passage ways out with air. Cleaned the tank.

I set the valves to .006in intake, .008 exhaust.

The specs for this engine say the compression should be 114-170 with the decompressor disengaged. I didnt disengage this when doing compression check, how is this disengaged?

The motor runs great once its started but it takes about 10 pulls to get it started. Yes I changed the plug, what concernbs me is what caused to plug to get this way, dirty air cleaner? I did change the air cleaner.

Thanks

4. Restrorob

It can't be, It disengages automatically when the engine starts. 95 lbs is about normal with the ACR engaged.

Bad fuel/low RPM's worn rings can cause carbon build-up, Most OEM's state to de-carbon the head and valves every so often.

I need those numbers to go any further......

5. kmacd

kmacd LawnSite Member

Restrorob,

The sticker on the pull cord is gone. The generator is an "EZ 3500".

Numbers on the engine are:

GX240-242

EX2X

GC04-3722586

Thanks

6. Restrorob

Try this;

Look around for a black wire coming from behind the flywheel cover near where the engine model numbers are, This is the coil kill lead wire. Disconnect it from the oil alert module (little silver box), With the end dangling not touching anything try to start the engine. If it starts right up there's a possible issue with the low oil level float/switch inside the crankcase, After so many pulls splashing oil around it makes contact and starts.

7. kmacd

kmacd LawnSite Member

restrorob,
    Thanks I will give it a try and let you know how it goes.