Hard Start Trouble

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by FIXDISS, May 1, 2006.

1. FIXDISS

FIXDISS LawnSite Senior Member

Have A Kohler 15.5 Hp Single Cyl. Model Cv155-41567 On Craftsman Model 917.271022 Lawn Tractor. Having Trouble With Getting Starter To Turn Engine Past Compression Stoke. Have Tried New Battery And Even Then It Hesitates On First Revolution And May Or May Not Spin Afterwards. My Question Is Could This Be Valve Adjustment Issue Or Just A Weak Starter ? I Noticed Starter Heats Up Rather Quickly When Trying To Start Also .

2. oldrustycars

oldrustycars LawnSite Senior Member

i would remove and clean all battery connections, dirty connections cause high amperage, resulting in a hot starter. remove the spark plug and spin the engine over, see if any oil or gas comes out. is this the first time this year you've tried to start it?

3. FIXDISS

I Actually Helped A Neighbor To Get It Started A Few Weeks Ago After Having Been In A Make-shift Shed For Over A Year. It Has Been Used This Season Once But Still W/hard Start. Have Removed Plug And Spun Engine Over And No Discharge There. I Also Pulled Cover From Ohv And Apparently This Engine Has Hydraulic Lifters As Rocker Arms Will Compress A Bit When Not Running.i Am Thinking Maybe The Owner Has Burned Up Starter Trying To Start With Weak Battery And It Just Won't Turn Over This High Compression Engine .

4. oldrustycars

i'd hate to suggest a starter without knowing if thats the trouble, i bet its over $100. i'll see if i can find out how many amps that starter should draw...do you have access to an amp meter? you could also take the starter off the engine and hook a known good battery up to it. it should just about jump off the workbench. if the engine isnt loaded with any liquids (im assuming the oil level is correct, and no gas in the cylinder), and it runs good once it does start (you dont have an engine about to be locked up) and ALL the connections for the battery are clean and tight, the starter is about all thats left.

5. FIXDISS

BTW,I an a new user here for the 1st time today and just wanted to say thanks for your response to my questions. I just recently found this site and was quite impressed with the responses to other guests by especicailly you and restrorob. I got lots of good info form you 2 as well as many others. I am just a guy that likes to fool around with small engines in spare time and help a neighbor if I can.

6. FIXDISS

I have an amp meter. I also had starter off and hooked to a new battery and it torqued a bit in my hand,enough to kick drive out but it retracted after top speed from spring pressure in drive unit. Only ran it 5 seconds or so. I put that starter in my lil fridge in garage where i keep frosty beverages and chilled it for 2 hrs , re-mounted it and was able to get engine started. Ran like a top.

7. oldrustycars

well, Retrorob is the expert here. i havent been working day to day in a small engine shop for 10 years. i currently do side jobs and fill in at a couple shops. this engine may have a compression release of some sort, not sure if it would be enough to keep it from cranking. we used to eliminate them on Briggs engines all the time and didnt have trouble. but if you refrigerated your starter and it then started, i'd say you're hot on the trail. and im guessing 30-50 amps draw cranking, with a fully charged battery. less is "probably" a bad starter, more "probably" engine trouble.

8. FIXDISS

Thanks again. Will check it with amp meter and let you know what happens.I have seen valves out of adjustment on Briggs cause hard start on ohv engine and was able to adjust them and correct problem. Just wasn't sure if this engine had any way of adjusting vales . One other point is I cannot manually turn the engine on compression stroke by hand at the air intake screen on flywheel cover. That is why I was suspicious of valve setting. What do you think of that ?

9. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

So, How did it start after the starter warmed back up ?

You do have one of these in that engine and could be acting up, I just replaced a cam in this same engine a couple weeks ago.
    Just something to keep in mind.

Koh. Comp. Release.JPG

10. FIXDISS

I was afraid of that .From what little details I have been able to find I had read the ACR was internal and not accessible without tearing down engine.Am I correct about hydraulic lifters in this engine ? I had pulled ohv cover off and pushed on rockers and could feel spongey action.