1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

hard starting 15hp kaw

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by SimonCX, Oct 30, 2006.

1. SimonCX

SimonCX LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone know what could be wrong lately it takes more and more pulls to get it started when it's cold. Before it would start 1 to 2 pulls, now it's 7 -10 pulls. The machine is only 2.5 years old, around 200-250 hours. I checked the air filter, spark plugs look ok but have never been changed, choke is adjusted right. It seems to idial rough when started at low rpms. Any input?
  2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

First thing I would do is replace the plug(s) and start at half throttle, If that doesn't do it may be time to tear the carb. down and give it a good cleaning with carb. & Choke spray cleaner.
  3. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

You stated that the choke was adjusted correctly. But, are you sure it is closing all the way? That is usually the reason a kaw becomes hard starting.
    ericg likes this.
  4. SimonCX

SimonCX LawnSite Senior Member

I looked at the choke and I did notice it wasn't closing all the way, adjusted it and it started right up. Hopefully that's all it was, I'll know tomorrow after it sits all night and gets cold. I did notice the spring that keeps tension on the choke adjustment screw is alittle weak and is not holding tension very well so it might be unscrewing.
  5. wasmeneh

wasmeneh LawnSite Member

I had a Honda that was a bear to start, 6-10 pulls. Had the same problem, choke was not closing all the way, fixed 1st time evertime.