1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Hard Starting JD JS63 21"

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Husky03, May 21, 2006.

1. Husky03

Husky03 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a John Deere JS63 push mower with the 6.75 HP Briggs that is not even two years old. It has taken more than the usual amount of pulls to get it started since I very first got it, but I figured it would loosen up and be fine. Well my warranty is up in June and it just keeps getting harder to start. It is extremely hard to start when it is hot after it has been run. Engines are usually easier to start once warmed up. I have changed the oil, replaced the filter, and changed the spark plug none of which helped. Any ideas? Warranty issue?

Thanks...

2. Grassman6

Grassman6 LawnSite Member

I had the same problems with two JS 63's last season. Authorized mechanic changed the carbs and then the engine on one and still the problem persisted. The good news is that B&S finally got the word and changed the design for '06. The new JS 20 has no choke or primer bulb, and the new design on the carb actually starts on the first pull in all conditions. Slightly different blade and deck discharge design make it a much better push mower. Keep the JS 63 as a back up and try the new JS 20.

3. Husky03

Husky03 LawnSite Senior Member

What do you think they would for me as far as warranty work? Also, how hard were yours to start when they were cold verses hot? How many pulls are you talking?

Thanks...

4. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

If it starts OK when cold, but is hard starting when hot/warm, the ignition module may be failing. I have seen that pattern in other engines, both 2 cycle and 4 cycle.

5. coolgreen

coolgreen LawnSite Member

I have a customer who wants to sell me her js63e. I know it's not a commercial mower, but it seems like it would do the job if the price is right.

I really like the electirc start - it's a blast.

What do you think it's worth. I don't think it has been used much.

Also, what year did John Deere make the JS 63?

Thanks.