Hard starting Kawasaki FJ180 kai engine

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RELIABLELAWNMAN, Mar 18, 2014.

1. RELIABLELAWNMAN

RELIABLELAWNMAN LawnSite Member

Purchased a new Exmark 21 last week. Great machine except for one problem. Having a hard time starting it first thing in the morning. I have tried shutting off the fuel at night, leaving the fuel on at the end of the day and also shutting the fuel off then run the fuel line dry. This engine does not have a remote throttle. I have an older Exmark that is equipped with the same type engine with a remote throttle. I can start this mower on the second pull. Any suggestions as to cause of problem.

2. Scott's Lawn Maintenance

Scott's Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like you may have a problem with the choke .
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. M&L

M&L LawnSite Member

I'd like to know also in case it happens to me, I just picked up a 30 from J&P with the same engine. If it came from J&P or J&W, I'd take it back and have them check it. My luck has been very good with the Clovis store
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. RELIABLELAWNMAN

Purchased it south of Shields and east of Clovis Ave. Have known Tim and Pat since we started our business. They will take care of warranty with no problem but was just curious if anyone else may have run into this problem.

5. orlawncaresvc

orlawncaresvc LawnSite Senior Member

Hey there Reliable. Did you purchase the mower from The Mowers Edge. Them and Nelson's Power Center in Selma seem to be the only Exmark dealers in this area. We got the chance to demo that 21 inch machine when it first came out. Wasn't really to impressed with it. At least when we compared it to the Honda commercial. But the newest Honda commercial mower also gives us starting problems in the morning. Since the changed the motors on them they have not been the same great machine it used to be.

6. RELIABLELAWNMAN

Yes. Thought about the Honda, but like the cast aluminum deck. Have the older models and pressure wash the units. Was afraid of rust. Impressed with this new unit. Bags good, height adjustment is easy and seems to have good power.

7. RELIABLELAWNMAN

Ok!!! Not sure if this is an age thing or not. Went by the lawn mower shop where I purchased the new 21" Exmark to drop off the trimmer mower for back lapping. While there the owner ask how I like the new mower. I told him it was great except for the hard starting in the morning. He ask if I primed the engine before starting. Prime? Underneath the air filter is a small primer bulb. It works!!!!!!! So now I have to take my own advice. READ THE BOOK!!!!!
    OK, the laugh is on me.

8. orlawncaresvc

orlawncaresvc LawnSite Senior Member

So is the mower working fine now?

9. RELIABLELAWNMAN

Works great. FYI.....Horizon Irrigation is also an Exmark dealer.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. ric1

ric1 LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Just FYI you better look at the Exmark 21" again because you don't have the FJ180v KAI because it doesn't have a primer bulb. You have the Exmark 21" commercial S Series with the FJ 180V. The Exmark 21" X series has the FJ 180V KAI Engine. Two different engines. The KAI engine Has the duel element round Air filter separate from the engine over the carb. The Exmark below in the link has the FJ 180V KAI

http://www.exmark.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProductType=145