Hard starting Kawasaki FJ180 kai engine

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RELIABLELAWNMAN, Mar 18, 2014.

1. RELIABLELAWNMAN

RELIABLELAWNMAN LawnSite Member

I have a 2013 commercial x-series with bbc and kawasaki kai engine. It is equipped with the round air filter and the primer bulb is located under the filter assy.

2. ric1

ric1 LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Kawasaki must have changed the engine then because I have the KAI on my Turf-master and it doesn't have a primer bulb.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2014
  3. Church2224

Church2224 LawnSite Senior Member

The Turf Master and Commercial 30s have a Manual Choke, while the Commercial 21s have a primer bulb.

4. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

I bought an exmark 21 X Series commercial mower non-bbc with the Kawasaki fj180v last year. The mower is great but the Kawasak engine has given me trouble. It doesn't start very well, especially in cool/cold weather. It has a primer too. I usually push the bulb 2-3 times when I start it. The dealer made some adjustments to it with the valves and rpms but that didn't help too much. It just sounds like an airplane now. I haven't been overly impressed with this kawasaki engine. The older FJ150v that I had on my old John Deere JX85 was a much better engine.

5. RELIABLELAWNMAN

RELIABLELAWNMAN LawnSite Member

joed,
    I have a Kawasaki FJ180v that was hard starting. This engine is equipped with a remote choke. The choke was not closing all of the way so I adjusted the choke cable travel. Starts easier now. Not sure if this is possible on your engine but just a thought.

6. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the tip. Much appreciated. I don't have a remote choke on my unit. There's just a primer bulb. The dealer has it now. I asked him to look at the issue again. The warranty expires on April 12 so I hope something is done. As I mentioned, I much prefer the old Kawasaki FC150. That was a great engine, started up with no problems, never bogged down, and excellent power. This kawi has been the opposite. Sometimes I wish I had spent the extra money and gone for the Honda GXV160 motor.