hard starting scag

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by jds720, Jul 2, 2008.

1. jds720

jds720 LawnSite Senior Member

New battery, new selinod, has a hard time starting unless its choked out
  2. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX LawnSite Gold Member

spark plugs?
  3. jds720

also just replaced
  4. jds720

if this thing was a car or truck my money would be on the starter. but its a lawn mower...im still new to these engines
  5. vgshopboss

vgshopboss LawnSite Member

Not sure if you are saying that it has a hard time starting, or a hard time spinning fast enough TO start.

Even with changing out the starter and solenoid, did you clean each and every connection between the battery and solenoid, solenoid and starter, battery and ground point, and all the connections on the key switch? 8 times out of 10 if I have electrical issues on mowers, its bad connections. The other two are a bad ground, and something actually took a dive.

As far as starting goes, I would start with the basics, change out your fuel filter, blow out or replace your air filter, and check for strong spark on both cylinders (and make sure that the plug wires are on tight). Beyond that, you would have to start looking at checking compression and/or cylinder leakdown, or tearing into the carburetor and rebuilding it. There is also slim possibilities of bad intake gaskets, bad head gaskets, so on and so forth, but start out with the 5 minute, 2 dollar fixes, and go from there.
  6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

If it has to be choked it's likely starving for fuel...
    Replace fuel filter next, also check the fuel cut-off valve make sure it's all the way open.
  7. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Sometimes it is the brushes in the starter. I had a situation I thought was surely the carb but turned out to be the brushes. Replaced them at a rebuilder and it spins up like a tazmanian devil. Tony
  8. bojodunk

bojodunk LawnSite Member

what kind of motor? kohler honda kawasaki Hard starting hot / cold ?
    dose it start ok if you choke it
  9. jds720

Its a Briggs, and it does it hot or cold, and it only starts when i choke it
  10. kawasaki1

kawasaki1 LawnSite Member

most of the newer engines are jetted so lean they need some choke hot or cold.

also most have a governed idle setup that pulls the throttle open when the engine shuts down, hence the need for choking.