1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Hard starting weedeater

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by hhart28, Aug 17, 2012.

1. hhart28

hhart28 LawnSite Member

My gas weedeater has become really hard to start and floods more often than it starts. If/when it starts it usually runs okay but is difficult to restart. It has fresh gas and a new spark plug. It's a Poulon and is about 4 yrs old. Any idea what might be happening?

2. jkingrph

jkingrph LawnSite Senior Member

It's a Poulon! Really I have been the route with the lower priced equipment and you are hitting the time for continuting problems. I had similar problems with a Homelite saw, and a Weedeater brand trimmer, probably 25-27 years ago, got fed up and gave them away and bought some lower mid grade Stihl equipment that I am still using and have no problems.

It could be your carb is gummed up and needs cleaning or it may be worn to the point where compression is not what it should be.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2012
  3. Capemay Eagle

Capemay Eagle LawnSite Bronze Member

With todays fuel, it is most likely the carb is gummed. My 5 year Echo is doing the same thing. I need to tear down the carb and clean it up.