Hard surface

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ducky1, May 9, 2003.

1. ducky1

ducky1 LawnSite Senior Member

Hey does anyone use any king of hard surfacing on their blades to make them last longer?? Have heard that it used to be done.

2. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

This is a goofy idea but I wonder if any of the materials like kevlar could be made into blades? If it can stop a bullet you would think it could cut grass. I guess it would be a chore to sharpen it.

3. ducky1

ducky1 LawnSite Senior Member

I have heard of some stuff that you put on with a torch. You heat up the blade and pour or brush this stuff on and it hard surfaces the blade. I just don't know if any one has tried it.

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

The only process that I know of that actually works is cryogenic hardening. They take your blade and freeze it at some un-Godly temperature like 280 below zero. When it comes out it is extremely hard. The only problem is when you sharpen it the heat caused by sharpening undoes the hardening.

5. Mueller Landscape Inc

Mueller Landscape Inc LawnSite Senior Member

Interesting. Buck knives has a blade that has some kind of special coating on one side. It makes the metal on that side extremely hard. As you use the knife, the metal from the other side will wear and will actually sharpen the knife because it wears at a angel opposite to the treated side keeping the treated side sharp.

6. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

I believe what you may be talking about is a carbon process that is applied with heat on your blade edge. I tried it about 13 years ago and the blades stayed sharp as h3ll. UNTIL....YOU HIT A ROCK, GRAVEL, or ANYTHING! Then the stuff would break off and crack. But the sure would stay sharp until then. It is not something you want to turn your employees lose with as it may make it through a day.