Hard Times-Fuel Prices?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LandscapemanFL, May 19, 2008.

1. LandscapemanFL

LandscapemanFL LawnSite Member

I see that there is another increase in fuel prices again today and with hard times in the housing market and the credit crunch. I wanted to know what everyone is doing about the high prices and the low customer bases?

I have been consolidating my runs, only using one crew, and some small advertising in papers and door hangers.

2. k911lowe

k911lowe LawnSite Senior Member

rich people do not feel recession,fuel costs or housing slumps but they always need service.

3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Are you in Lee County? Most of the rest of the country isn't having severe problems. Granted that gas is up but that's about it. If you have a buyer that can meet historic fundamentals then credit can still be had for cheap.

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Conservation is the name of my game for 2008.

Is your house fully converted to CFL's yet?
    Does your shower stall use a water saver spigot?
    Do you recycle garbage?
    Do your toilets have 2-stage flush (stage 1 is a light flush for number 1, stage 2 you guessed it).
    If not, do your toilets have adjustable water levels, and can it and has it been lowered?
    If not, have you considered lowering a brick or two inside their tanks?
    Is your hot water heater thermostat at 125-130 (I like 124-126)?
    > That is, the LOWER thermostat at 124, the UPPER at 126.
    Do you wait until you have enough checks to COMPLETELY fill a deposit slip before running by the bank?
    When making said deposit, do you use any available branch, preferrably one that is conveniently located on the way to one of your first accounts?

Do you use auto-pay?
    Paperless statements?
    Online credit card payments?

Is your home's insulation up to today's EPA Green standards?
    Have you visually checked it, do you know how, can you DIY?
    Did you know 90% of US-made homes aren't up to par, at least half not even close?

Shoot I'm hardly warmed up.

5. Juan_Deere

Juan_Deere LawnSite Senior Member

What credit crunch, and what housing market slump? Only about 3% of homeowners are affected by the current problem. A problem created by themselves and by greedy mortgage lenders. The majority of people losing their homes are because they shouldn't have been approved for a home loan in the first place. Aside from the sub-prime mortgage business, foreclosure rates are the same throughout the country as they historically have been.

6. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

Dont have a small customer base. As of now I only feel the pain of the pump. I have no loss for work tho!

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

When showering, do you turn the water down to a trickle in between?
    Do you ONLY do FULL loads of laundry?
    Do you hang your clothes outside to dry?
    Did you know most 2-cycler air filters can be washed, and air dried, and re-used?

In the spring and fall does your A/C / Heat stay OFF?
    Do you open up the windows and use fans instead?
    Do you use plug-in timers for certain things that don't need 24-7 operation?
    Do you turn off the pc when done using it?
    Have you cut your electric usage by at least 20% this year?
    Do you know your home's usage by the kwh per month?
    Do you know what is a kwh, how long you can run an appliance in terms of time until it has used one kwh?

Do you turn OFF the GPS when it's not absolutely essential?
    (yeah watch out for that one).
    Did you know you can increase a vehicle's mpg by up to 40% beyond EPA ratings?
    Do you know how to "drive with load?"
    Do you know how to "drive without brakes?" (DWB)
    Do you know how to "engine OFF coast?" (EOC)
    Do you EOC + DWB up to forecasted stops?
    Do you know how to "constant gas" an average speed through heavy traffic?
    Are your tires ALL filled to max.psi. sidewall?
    When's the last time the oil was changed, is it fresh or black?
    How about the air filter, the spark plugs, the wires, cap and rotor, fuel filter, pcv valve, breather cap?
    Did you know any of those can hurt your Fuel Economy? (FE)
    Do your vehicles have an instant FE gauge?

Now we're getting somewhere lol

8. bill8379

bill8379 LawnSite Senior Member

I just raised my prices a couple bucks a lawn.:confused:

9. LandscapemanFL

LandscapemanFL LawnSite Member

Nice, I am in Lee County. Here in Lee County we are the highest foreclosure rate in the country. Think about it if you can afford your home today with a job what will happen when you loose your job. Say you did and there is no jobs to be found.Then add lots of lay offs, with no job you use you credit card to get by thinking that you will get a new job soon. They were able to pay when they had a job, when the market cooled they lost there job, I have seen good people loose there home. I dont mean new homeowners they lived there for years. When big company's lay off people they are not just a number that is a family with children and lives that just been uprooted. That is not just over indulgent activity's. The problem snow balled and that is what happens with trickle down economics. I have had lost 17 customers to foreclosure and 20 customers to layoffs. These people were hard working blue collar family's.

10. jrush

jrush LawnSite Member

This is only a media recesion. I've yet to lose one account. I have lost SOME $ gas/food prices... just add a couple bucks to everyones account, most don't even notice.